What sharpening template do I need

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I use the GRS EasyGraver 120° fixture to make gravers for flare cutting, and I think any tall heel wider-than-90° graver can work.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When I engraved the sample in the picture you linked from my glossary, I cut all of the scroll using a Lindsay Palmcontrol Airgraver with a graver sharpened on a 116 degree (universal), parallel heel, Lindsay template. The background was done with a hand pushed liner.

I can tell you that it doesn't matter what engraving system you use. When I began developing my version of the "flare Cut" I used a Gravermeister and a 90 degree graver. If the metal is soft enough, like silver, you can hand push it. I don't think hammer & chisel works well because the cuts will show progression marks.

The key is to have excellent graver control. The cuts have to run pretty much uninterrupted, with gradual tapering, from one end the the other. I have seen many beginners try to cut this style with no success.

naparra

Thank you much for the information . That's the template I have now and can't seem to get that cut. I like how it flares up and seems to have a wider cut. I engrave on car parts so the bigger I can engrave the better.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thank you much for the information . That's the template I have now and can't seem to get that cut. I like how it flares up and seems to have a wider cut. I engrave on car parts so the bigger I can engrave the better.

Flare cutting is difficult enough at normal size. I would think it will be many times more difficult scaled up to a size large enough for car parts. Keep us posted.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Some of the "old school" guys many years ago did engraving on car parts with a large flat screwdriver sharpened to cut like a chisel. One person I saw used a very large screwdriver.

Bill

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member

maybe roll/lean the graver more, or .... for parts that size a flat graver might be another option.

naparra

Thank you guys. I do think someone sells a template that looks some what like a flat screw driver. I've been trying to figure out what tool and graver/template this guy uses. Seems to cut really well. I've seen this video in regular time and it seems to cut easy and wider cuts.

https://youtu.be/b6OA6vQSmXU

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'd highly recommend the dual angle fixture by GRS. It's what I use day in day out. This fixture, when you're learn how to use it, is capable of making any geometry.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Thank you guys. I do think someone sells a template that looks some what like a flat screw driver. I've been trying to figure out what tool and graver/template this guy uses. Seems to cut really well. I've seen this video in regular time and it seems to cut easy and wider cuts.

https://youtu.be/b6OA6vQSmXU
i find the only useful part of the video was the still foto at the end. it's obvious the dude had no interest in providing much information as to the "how it's done".

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Not sure , but it seems to me that with larger work , you could just use a flat graver with a shorter polished heel and what ever face angle for the metal you are cutting and obtain similar enough results.

Latest posts

Sponsors