Help, please: Donegan OptiVisor, good or bad ?

vip

How does the out looking of this product seem so terrible? The printing quality of the packing box seems like counterfeit products from China.Donegan OptiVisor, good or bad ?

JOEYS CARVED ART

Elite Cafe Member
I like my Donegan Opti-visor. I primarily use a microscope but when I work on an item that don't fit under the microscope or when I do my stippling I use my visor. Make sure you are not trying to work too far from the item that you are engraving. The higher the magnification the closer you need to be to the work piece.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
eHobbyTools.com from Langhorne, Pa.was a nice selection of optivisor's phone 215-750-9016 they sell a pear thats really light on your head J.J.

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Vip, I am with Joey, make sure is the one with glass lenses, the copy ones have plastic ones, don't know where you are located but make sure you get it from a reputable supplier, that way you get the real deal.

Richard.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
that looks like the ones i use..
says made in us on the box.. and as far as i can recall that is the box that mine came in.. but do watch that it comes with glass optics.
i've never tried the ones sam linked to.. i really like the look of those ones.

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
I have one & I like it a lot. My box is identical except the box you show is marked DA-5 (2.5x magnification/8" focal length). Mine is a DA-4 (2x magnification/10" focal length).

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I love mine, make sure you get the led lights for it on amazon, that way you'll always have the perfect lighting angle

GunEngraver.com Guns, Knives & More

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
Optivisor by Donegan comes in 2 versions OptiVisor has glass lenses and OptiVISOR LX is plastic lenses.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The counterfeits from China all say MADE IN THE USA so that means nothing. Buy the dealer as well as the product and you'll be safe. Rio Grande, GRS, Stuller, or any of the reputable dealers in the USA will surely have genuine products. Try to save a few bucks with an unknown seller and you take your chances.

On a separate note, one of my jeweler friends saw pierced the top of his optivisor to let light in so the visor wouldn't shade his work. I thought that was a neat idea but I've not tried it myself.

Jahn Baker

Elite Cafe Member
I've been using the Donegan Optivisors for jewelry work more years than I care to count. The glass lenses are absolutely top of the line; clean clear, and free of distortion. All mine (#5's and #7's for students and self) have been purchased from Rio Grande. Distortion in the plastic lenses bothered my eyes, exchanged them for the glass and have never looked back.

Latest posts

Sponsors