Few new pendants to share

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
These are a few pieces off the workbench this week. Been looking through the Ken Hunt images Sam posted as inspiration. Im using these as practice for an upcoming watch engraving. I'm liking the results so far, but am still looking for where to improve the shading in some areas.

thanks for looking

Attachments

• DSCF2304.jpg
    DSCF2304.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 453

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
thanks guys!
a lot of us tend to be our own worst critics. I'm still looking for better ways to shade the fold overs.

Jahn Baker

Elite Cafe Member
The only thing I can see that needs changing is the level of self-critique! Those are lovely! It's great that you believe you can do better, and with practice you will. Keep in mind it has taken a lifetime for Ken Hunt to achieve his level of mastery. MHO - Lighten up and enjoy the ride.

TallGary

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
thanks guys!
a lot of us tend to be our own worst critics. I'm still looking for better ways to shade the fold overs.

I didn't notice it at first, but I think I see what you are talking about. Looking at the bottom right of the lower pendants as an example. The leaf is curved up and the back of the leaf is exposed. If that section of the leaf is a continuation of the rest of the leaf, you would expect it to be cupped with the outer edges of that section of the leaf closer to the section of the leaf that it flows from and the center of the leaf raised. The shading is the same on both sections of the leaf making the "folded over" section of the leaf appear to have raised edges and depressed center areas.

Not certain how to change this -- probably fewer shade lines limited to the edged of the leaf areas with the centers not shaded? Guess I need to do some sketching and cutting to see if that helps.

In any case, I think your design is excellent and the pendants are very well executed.

Well done!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
thanks guys!
a lot of us tend to be our own worst critics. I'm still looking for better ways to shade the fold overs.[/Q
attention to detail i suppose we all are a bit guilty there. as for shading, yes i think it may be less than perfect by some standards. the problem is, nothing looks bad or in need of remediation. so, perhaps a more loftier standard has not been met here, but this is a delightful piece of work. period !

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
thanks gary for the tip. ill practice a couple pf those later this week to see if I'm understanding you clearly.

thughes..... thanks!

monk... over all I'm very pleased with how these came out. I also realize who all is here and that many have more experience in the art than I do breathing, and it never hurts to listen to tips they might have to offer concerning areas I feel I struggle more with.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very beautiful and different. They would definitely make me stop and notice if being worn or in a showcase. Thanks for posting!

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Tira and Andy!

Nice to see you checking in andy. you been engraving much lately? hope things are doing well with you.

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
Greetings sir... I have engraved a little over the last week, but just fiddling around as I'm quite rusty... but hope to be doing something of more substance soon. Hoping you're well.

Latest posts

Sponsors