Help, please: GraverMach at tuning.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey everyone. Trying to get the best cutting out of the graver Mach at that my students have. Not sure about the pressures and tuning. The foot pedal has been pulled apart and adjusted several times by then. Tips appreciated

Thanks kindly everyone

Danae

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am under the assumption you are using the foot pedal and not the AT control? I'm guessing someone has messed up the pedal. Turn it over and look through the hole in the bottom. You will see an Allen screw in the nylon rotor. There is a brass bushing that presses against the rotor. The screw should be reasonably centered to the bushing. From the top of the Allen screw to the bottom edge of the brass bushing should be between 8-10mm. Make sure Allen screw is secured and also make sure the "pivot lock nuts" on the pedal are tight. When you depress the pedal the distance should increase from the 8-10mm and return once the pedal is back to stop.

Air pressure is adjusted like Sam mentioned in another post. Light spring will be in the 15lb area. Use 2300 SPM as a beginning setting.
Hope this helps.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Psi recommendations. Different for different handpiece and springs? Do you feed higher into the machine than you need and tweak it with the knob in the machine. ?

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Air going into the machine should be 45-60 psi.
Large handpieces and springs should be around 18-22 psi. Best to adjust as Sam said. Start at 5 psi and bring up slowly until you hear it "rattle". Keep increasing until the rattle quits and then add about 1 psi more.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Does it make any sense that air hisses out when we wind the pressure up on the compressor no matter what we set the pressure on the machine to.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You will hear a slight air leak inside and at the foot pedal but should not be a rush of air. If so check inside for any loose connections. Make sure a/c pressure is 45-60 psi otherwise it can blow lines loose.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ok so what does the knob under the light do. At 60psi the handpiece tube blows out the front and the foot pedal is vibrating and humming away like a car idling away heavily. They have been using it at 30psi because of that.

The handpiece starting to tap when you get it tuned right. Does it really tap or just flutter?

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Grs systems, just leak air, not lots, but enough to keep a small compressor busy, its just the way there made, foot pedal will have some escape when pressing it, but should not be overwhelming, its hard to explain you learn from experience, once youve used a properly working foot pedal you will now when something is wrong. Ive fine tuned mine to start at the most minimal pressure possible.

GunEngraver.com Guns, Knives & More

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ok they found the manual and I learned a bit more about setup and tuning and it's feeling better now. The bias valve makes a big difference to how the foot pedal operates and trimming the end off the handpiece tube and pushing the fresh piece onto the connector has stopped it blowing off at 45psi. I have just comprehended and experienced tuning working right. Cool. Thanks everyone

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If the handpiece hose is blowing off and you say 45 psi you aren't adjusted right. 45-60 psi TO the Mach from the compressor and then usually 15-20 psi depending on the handpiece. If you need to use the bias for normal operation you have too much air or the foot pedal is out of adjustment. Refer to the earlier post on how to adjust the pedal.

Sponsors