Help, please: Compressor not holding pressure for Gravermach

Silverling

Hey, I was wondering if some one here might be able to help me figure out a compressor issue that I have right now at my work.

I have a Super Silent 50TCA attached to a gravermach and it seems to be having issues keeping pressure. It’ll start up, build up air and stop as normal, but doesn’t seem to kick back on when it needs to. I’m only able to get two or three cuts in with the gravermach before it stops working due to not having any pressure, then I have to wait 5 or so minutes before the compressor decides turns back on and builds up air again, and it doesn’t seem to keep that air even when I’m not using it.

I thought that draining it might help, but even after that it does the same thing. I’m not hearing or feeling any obvious leaks, so I’m wondering what else I need to check to fix the problem, because otherwise my engraving has been taking three times longer than it should since I have to wait on the compressor to turn back on again. (Seriously, it took me like, two hours just to engrave a inch and a half long EKG line on a pendant due to having maybe 30 seconds to a minute of cut time. It was so frustrating!)

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:

TallGary

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
What is the regulator on the compressor set at -- may be too low. You may need to adjust the regulator (clockwise turns) to bring up the pressure to a working level.

Good Luck!

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My best guess is that the pressure high and low limit is the issue
Ha Gary beat me to it

Silverling

Its actually set rather high for the gravermach. I had actually called GRS a few weeks ago thinking that the gravermach had a problem and recommended that the compressor should be set at about 50-60 PSI and I had it at 120. I guess I could try bumping it up more but I don't think that will fix it.

Edit: I've also tried running it at a lower pressure and it still happens, I'm not sure the pressure is the issue.

Last edited:

TallGary

Dave may have the answer, could be the pressure switch. The link to the Silentaire manual is below with troubleshooting hints and adjustment procedure for the pressure switch. Be careful with the edjustment. Your post indicates the compressor runs up to 120psi so I would not adjust the cutout pressure. Maybe the differential pressure could be reduced? What is the pressure when the compressor restarts? What pressure shows on the Gravermach?

http://www.silentaire.com/silentaire/images/pdfs/050215_SaA_MAN_I-GB(silentaire)_R2.pdf

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Do you have a regulator,moisture trap and a oil coalising filter in line
.Or are you running straight off the compressor

Silverling

I generally try to keep the gravermach at about 10psi since the handle I have works best at that level. Generally as I use it the pressure goes down dramatically until its not enough to run it. (Below the .5psi mark)

Once it hits the point where its not running, the compressor shows to be at about 100psi, and doesn't cut back on until it hits 90.

I'll have to try adjusting it and see if I might be able to get it to cut on a little sooner.

TallGary

Once it hits the point where its not running, the compressor shows to be at about 100psi, and doesn't cut back on until it hits 90.

The problem is not with the compressor. Looks like you have an obstruction downstream.

Silverling

Except I'm getting airflow perfectly fine while the machine is running. I checked the tubes already and there doesn't seem to be a problem in that respect.

TallGary

when you cut does the air pressure on the Gravermach gage vary when you depress the foot pedal? If you are using a GravermachAT does the pressure fluctuate when you begin to cut?

Silverling

when you cut does the air pressure on the Gravermach gage vary when you depress the foot pedal? If you are using a GravermachAT does the pressure fluctuate when you begin to cut?

Yes it does. Generally it'll start a little higher, then go down while I am cutting.

I just have a gravermach, no AT at the end of it.

TallGary

I am running 50 psi to my Gravermach. There are 3 filters after the regulator, the double set recommended for oil type compressors and the standard filter housing mounted to the Gravermach. The pressure gage does not move from the set point if I depress the pedal all the way.

Be sure the bias control is off -- fully clockwise, ditto the auxiliary air port, and the tool port selector is fully in the port one or two -- whichever you are using. Actually, you could test the air supply system by turning on the aux port and bleeding air out without anything connected to it -- should get a lot of air flow with the Gravermach turned off and the Gravermach regulator set to about 15psi, open the aux port -- counter clockwise -- and air will flow from the aux port. the pressure will drop but should stay around 8 psi or so and the compressor should cycle on when the tank pressure drops to the cut-in pressure.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As Gary said, it sounds like the hi/low pressure switch needs adjustment or may even be dirty. Clean the points (power off) and check it before adjusting.

Silverling

Alright. I'll check that when I go back into work tomorrow. I do appreciate the advice you guys are giving!

Silverling

Alright, just checked the gravermach, the bias control is off and all the ports are in order, though it still doesn't seem to be keeping pressure. It seems to just go down and stay down until the compressor kicks back in again.

I'm not sure what the issue might be. I had called GRS and they thought it was a compressor issue, but there could be something wrong with the gravermach but I'm not entirely sure what....

Edit: I should probably mention that there is a kind of long and weird story to go along with this. I've really only picked up engraving recently, but there was a goldsmith I worked under that would do a lot of engraving wirh this gravermach. I'm not entirely sure what exactly happened but there was one day he was engraving, something happened, and he stopped using the gravermach for reasons I couldn't tell you, he just said that there was an issue he'd have to look into and fix.

Fast forward about a year, he's not working here anymore and I decide to take an engraving class. Learned the hammer and chisel method as well as with the ngraver, and my boss revealed that he has a gravermeister as well as a gravermach. So I tried using the gravermeister which worked okay, but the hand piece he has for it really sucks (its long, pencil like, and unwieldy) and he's not willing to buy a better one for it since we also have the gravermach so I just kind of dealt with it.

A little more time passes and the store I work at moves. My boss and I decide to get the gravermach up and going since it has a better hand piece (I also like the way it handles better, I feel like I have a little more control with it despite its current issue) and its a lot quieter.

Since the other goldsmith left I've had to try and figure stuff out on my own, so pretty much if I sound like an idiot who has no idea what they're doing, its because I am an idiot who has no idea what she's doing.

Sooo yeah, I greatly appreciate any help you guys are giving me. Not sure if I can stress that enough.

Last edited:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You need to separate the compressor from the Gravermach. Then see if the compressor has issues. Once it reaches pressure to turn off let out air to see how long it takes to kick on and what the gauges say. It sounds like the pressure switches are not in adjustment. Or you have a bad leak somewhere between the compressor and Gravermach.

TallGary

Silverling,

Did you try checking the air flow out the aux port while watching the Gravermach pressure gage?

Latest posts

Sponsors