Engraver's ID?

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A local gunshop owner asked if I could identify the engraver for the Colt 1903 shown here, which I could not. There is a mark (signature or makers mark?) on the right front of the slide. Anyone recognize this mark and/or work?

Thanks,

Bill

Attachments

• Colt 1903 signature.jpg
    Colt 1903 signature.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 220
  • Colt 1903 right.jpg
    Colt 1903 right.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 217
  • Colt 1903 left.jpg
    Colt 1903 left.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 216

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Bill That is an arrow on the slide and not the make of the engraver,it's a guide to proper position of the slide for disassembly :J.J.

Last edited:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Come on Roger.. I'm disappointed!! :)
This is a wild guess but it might have come from Frank Hendrick's shop. It is done well and the fact there is no signature it makes me wonder if a couple of engravers worked on it. Has that Hendrick style as well.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Although the photos are not very good, I tend to agree with Rex.
While the execution may not be perfect, the design of the scrollwork looks like something that was definitely influenced by Hendricks.

And….a good design is every bit as important as good cutting skills….maybe even more so!!

Have you looked under the left grip panel?
Are better photos available?

Thanks,
Weldon

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You if anyone would recognize the work Weldon. Frank's work was quite traditional but I studied all the little "extras" he put in there to make it look great. You can tell that whoever engraved this gun didn't start yesterday. Even with a bad photo you can see the tool control and cuts that take some time to perfect. I'd bet he had some influence on this one. I think he forgot more about engraving than most of us will ever know.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Those photos were from the client's cell phone. I'll try and get some better pictures and post them later. We checked under both grip panels and nothing was there. I had quickly looked over all areas engraved with a magnifying glass to check for any "secret" marks with no results but will go check again with my lighted loupe just to be sure. I'll need to do that at his store as he's not too trusting with anything leaving the premises, even though I live three blocks away.

Bill

Latest posts

Sponsors