Help, please: Rifle engraving - who did this?

Nklsdk

I recently bought this hunting rifle.

Is there anyway to tell, by style, who might have done the engraving?

I know it wasn't the factory (Sauer, Germany). The guy I bought it from wasn't sure, but said Bolini in Italy. I haven't been able to, by Google, find out who to contact there.

Do any of you aficionados know anything? Any help will be much appreciated. I haven't yet been able to find any markings.

Best regards, Niklas

Last edited:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Haven't got a clue who did the cutting but design and total craftsmanship are outstanding and unique. You have a real gem there and good luck on finding the engraving artist. You might check with the gun maker or stocker as they may know who suggested engravers might have been. Fred

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am pretty familiar with Italian engravers but have never heard of a Bolini. Bulini would be the plural of the word bulino in Italian. Bulino is the Italian word for a burin or what we sometimes call a "push graver. Scenes and figures made up of very fine lines and/or dots are sometimes called "bulino" engraving.

There is an Italian engraver named Badillini and another one named Balneari.

Stylistically, this engraving does not look Italian to me.

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
I love a good "WhoDunnit".

There is no foundation supporting my reasoning but I think it was done by an American engraver. The history of the rifle itself would be a good place to start. Are there USA importer marks or other marks that would tell you when and where it may have been sold?

The design seems a little flat for a classically trained European engraver. More of self taught style. I do like the overall look and fit of the design on the rifle.

John