Question: Will aluminum wire work for practicing inlay into engraver's brass or copper?

snappdragon

I'm going to try my hand at inlay on inexpensive stuff, (copper and brass), and I wondered if anyone knew if the aluminum wire would cause any kind of adverse reaction to the base jewelry pieces of brass or copper. I plan to make small pendants and earrings. Would I be better off using anodized aluminum for the inlay wire?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i would predict that aluminum wire would make for a very poor choice for inlay wire. copper would be far easier to practice with. inlay copper on brass. make sure the wire is annealed before using it. copper will work harden quickly. so make sure it's soft as possible before you start.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
You may want to do some Internet search work to check the specs on aluminum. I do not know if all grades of aluminum are made into wire, but I'm familiar with 6061-T6 grade, mostly. Generally, the higher up the number scale you go, the harder, and more unsuitable for inlays or what you need to do. Also, the higher grades will crack if bent too sharply, which is caused by heat and crystallization in flexure of the material. A dead soft aluminum may come apart, when drawn. If hammered, it may work harden, and need annealing. Especially, if it is alloyed with magnesium, it may be a problem. Anodizing is a surface treatment application, but MAY be of help where it contacts the base material as galvanic reaction would/may happen. You're going to stone down the surface, anyway, and the surface may not be an issue. Again, do some homework, as there may be a grade of aluminum wire that might work for you.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
snap,copper wire is better choice I use dead soft copper wire from Rio Grande when teaching a student. J.J.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Copper is ok as JJ says. I would also suggest maximizing your chances for success by using 24k gold because there's no metal that cooperates like pure gold for inlay.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Soft solder, solid or rosin core both work like gold for practice and can add another color to your palette. Did all my practice inlay pieces with solder Fred

monk

Staff member
Soft solder, solid or rosin core both work like gold for practice and can add another color to your palette. Did all my practice inlay pieces with solder Fred

holy cow. just when i thought all the clever tricks had been posted !