banjo components

celticjohn

I got some work from a banjo maker.
He wanted Celtic knot work that wasn't going to cost a fortune. I did a couple of different options on some tension bands and some armrests. Mainly just wiggle cut that I can execute relatively quickly. I've also done some Celtic animals, scrollwork and some personalised with individual names without the wiggle cut. I'll post some photos once they're nickel plated.

Attachments

• armrest 2.jpg
    armrest 2.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 248
  • armrest 4.jpg
    armrest 4.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 245
  • armrest 3.jpg
    armrest 3.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 245
  • banjo components.jpg
    banjo components.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 247

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Nice designs on the parts.

I've had banjo parts ruined by platers so be sure to instruct them not to polish.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Sam,Good advice I remember engraver Ron Nott telling me about a plater he send a Colt to be plated and they buffed it and Ron had to re-engrave the gun. J.J.

monk

Staff member
i think it's fine looking the way it is. is there a reason it has to be plated ? i'd think plating would have an adverse effect on the "look" that you already have there. in time, darkening would occur, making for an even greater contrast.

celticjohn

Sam, the items are highly polished when I get them, apart from finger prints and layout lines a light buff of rouge on a mop brightens them up nicely.

Monk, the photos (from the top) 1. & 4 are already nickel plated. Photos 2 &3 are raw brass unplated prior to electroplating. They're nickel plated to match the rest of the banjo components, tone rings, flange,tail piece etc.

monk

Staff member
Sam, the items are highly polished when I get them, apart from finger prints and layout lines a light buff of rouge on a mop brightens them up nicely.

Monk, the photos (from the top) 1. & 4 are already nickel plated. Photos 2 &3 are raw brass unplated prior to electroplating. They're nickel plated to match the rest of the banjo components, tone rings, flange,tail piece etc.
with my eyes, or my monitor, i do not see a lot of difference in the images. in any event, the design work and execution look good tyvm for showing.

Latest posts

Sponsors