problem to solve

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
to late for prevention, but have a very fine file loaded with copper. a file card wont work. can this file be cleaned electrolytically? if so, would love to hear from you on this matter. i've used the electro process for rust removal on old files. it worked great. not sure of what to do about the copper.:(

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It is a PITA but use a carbide scribe and use it to clean the copper out of the file groves

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
An old Machinist trick comes to mind, and it works as I've used it. Find something near a 16 penny or 20 penny spike, in a common nail as the softness is what you want. Hammer the head flat, cold, and you'll wind up with a disc on the end and a handle to which you'll grip the nail, and begin to run it in the furrows of the teeth, as if you were checkering. Through use, it'll wear, but that's fine. The pushing action will conform the end of the nail to assume that of the file, and you should be able to puch out the embedded filings. This works with steel, so I assume it would work with other material. The carbide scriber method will work, also, as a last r4esort. The nail trick is a lot faster, though.

Don H

I use a fired brass cartridge case. Hammer the case neck end flat and run it back and forth in line with the file "cut lines". The case with quickly conform to the file and remove the copper stuck in the file.

Before using the next time "file in a piece of soap or chalk. That will keep chips from sticking in the file and making gouges in the piece you are filing. Good luck! Don Hansen.

monk

Staff member
they sharpen horseshoe files in acid bath, maybe?

some of the files i did electrolytically were farriers. they not only became clean again, but seemed to be factory sharp. given the original condition, i was amazeed at how nice they all turned out.

monk

Staff member
It is a PITA but use a carbide scribe and use it to clean the copper out of the file groves

tyvm, dave. this seems to be the way i'll go. nothin to do this pm. might as well give the scriber a workout.

monk

Staff member
the suggestions to use brass and do a scraping motion: i have done this quite effectively on files that are coarse. in this case, doesn't seem to work well. thanks to all.

BES

Elite Cafe Member
The main thing is that it works and can be bought in any shop ...

monk

Staff member
The main thing is that it works and can be bought in any shop ...

bes: you can also use dilute sulfuric (battery) acid to remove rust. diluted till it is very weak in strength. must be done outdoors. i may try this to get rid of the copper deposits. the stuff is much more hazardous than the cocacola.

Sponsors