New Barrettes

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
a really nice look to these pieces. how do you do the celtic layout style? i know there was software to aid in this design style, but have never tried using such.

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
how do you do the celtic layout style?

Hi Monk,

Apologies for this blatant commercial plug, but since you asked, here's a link to my tutorial on Celtic Line Drawing: http://www.handengravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=6047.

Part 1 is free, Parts 2 and 3 cost the princely sum of $10 for both.

This moving GIF is pretty much what Part 1 teaches you.

Parts 2 and 3 are more advanced (and interesting), and teach Cutwork and Circles like in the above image>

Tom Sterling

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
There are many wonderful examples of Celtic Knots. The two I use the most are "The Book of Kells" and the "Lindesfarne Gospels". These wonderful Irish Manuscripts have been around for 1500 years, or more. There are a lot of lesser known reference books that depict the ancient knot engravings of the Irish, Scottish, Picts and Vikings. Each has something to offer.

When I don't hAve a pre-determined pattern, I generally start with a minimalistic design, a simple sine wave, and slowly add complexity, an element at a time. For some reason my mind is able tp perceive them...some people can't.

I have tried techniques similar to Tom Sterlings, and they work well, but I haven't personally used them much. I'm just lucky (or persistant) I guess!

Thank you all for looking.