A couple of recent knives

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Here's a couple of knives I've done recently. The Spyderco I did for a customer for his son's birthday. It's obviously my attempt at McKenzie scroll. The comment Mitch made the other day about the simplicity but effectiveness of McKenzie's shading was what prompted me to post this. That's what I've always loved about his scroll, it's so simple looking but so effective, and deceptively difficult to do right, as my meager attempt clearly shows. But I've learned a lot by trying to draw it and cut it.

The second knife is my personal everyday carry knife. The design is one I pretty much stole from Mr. Hands. It's an old Gerber from the late 70's and I found it on ebay in mint condition. I had it for a year and could just never come up with a design for it that I liked. Then I ran across this bit of scroll in one of my binders full of photos. Mr. Hands did this in front of the trigger guard on a rifle I believe it was, and it looked just about right. It was not for sale and I tell people that see it that it's not my design, but I just wanted to see if I could draw it and cut it. I asked Barry if he would mind if I posted it for comment/critique and he graciously said he was good with it.

What Mitch said the other day about not cutting shade lines just for the sake of more lines is exactly what I've been trying to make myself pay more attention to for a while now. And studying and trying to cut McKenzie's style, or Mr. Hands version of it just seemed like a good way to work on that. Any critique is welcome as always.

Todd

Attachments

• IMG_2026.jpg
    IMG_2026.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_2004.jpg
    IMG_2004.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_2006.jpg
    IMG_2006.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 325

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
nice to know somebody reads my senile ramblings...

Ragnarok

Both of them look great Todd. I tried drawing the pattern you used on the Gerber Paul knife when you emailed the picture to me awhile back. I finally tried to cut it on a practice plate with a push graver. It didn't work the way I planned.

I still haven't hooked up my Lindsey Artisan yet, building 1911's has kept me too busy. Hopefully I'll be done with two of them, and I'll email you some pictures.

Chuck

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors