Question: Looking for opinions about turntable/vise support

grumpyphil

Elite Cafe Member
Hi All-
I realize this subject has been covered at some length but I'm wondering if anyone has tried using a screwjack as a support and if so, how it worked out. I'm in the midst of rebuilding my engraving station after a move and for a variety of reasons the drillpress stand route won't work for me. I've been looking at a variety of heavy bottle jacks, screwjacks and trailer supports and wondering if these might not work as support.
Any info or opinions would be appreciated.

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
There is a lengthy thread in which many people show their work bench set up. I think I remember seeing a screw jack or two. Have a look and you'll probably see something that will work for you.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i have a "rig", which i call a scopecart. the vise goes nicely up & down on a 1.5" lead screw. it allows lowering or raising as needed to acommodate focus or eliminate neck & backache. somewhere in the dimly lit forum morgue, you should be able to find the fotos. if not, send me a pm-- i'll dig up what i have & will send your way. my setup was made from angleiron, steel plate, and mdf. all parts glued together with a lincoln arc welder.

Steve L S

Phil, I use a tripod made from heavy walled pipe with a 40mm threaded rod going through another section of pipe running up the centre of the tripod. The threaded rod has a heavy plate welded to the top of it which supports the turntable. The tripod is portable so I can move it out of the way and three legs automatically stabilise themselves, but I am not happy with it because the tripod legs get bumped by my chair throwing out scope setup and as heavy as the whole unit is it still moves under higher levels of magnification . Next Version(I think I am on about 4th) will be a redesign of whole workbench with turntable fixed into it
Let us know what you come up with
Steve

grumpyphil

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the replies guys. I went back and looked more carefully at the workbench thread and sure enough, I found some supports that were about what I had been thinking of. Don't know how they escaped me before as I must've looked at that thread 30 times over the last few years.
So at least I know that it CAN work if properly done and there don't seem to be any hidden problems I wasn't aware of. I've ordered a piece of 1-10 threaded acme rod and I'll machine the nuts over the weekend. Still scrounging around for something heavy enough to mount the whole thing on. I'll post pictures when I've got the whole thing together. I think you'll be surprised when you see what I'm mounting on it.

horologist

Thanks for mentioning that thread. I am still trying to figure out how to make an engraving area in my shop and that thread is a goldmine of ideas.
I am a little disturbed at how clean many of the shops are though..... :biggrin:

Troy

Sponsors