Announcement: Quick Change Graver Grease

BarryB

Recently bought two older GraverMax machines and refurbished them. They came with about a dozen QC (quick change) tool holders but there was nothing QC about them. The manual says to use teflon grease on them and I was having trouble finding a local source for the GRS recommended Super Lube. They list it for $3.95, which is a good buy, by the way, but I didn't want to wait. I tried the Harbor Freight web site and they had it for $6.99. There is a HF store ten minutes from my house so it was worth the extra money to get my QC holders working as intended. Now they slip in and out with no effort at all. That sounds kind of dirty, but with the way these things work, the metaphor seems unavoidable. I suspect that synthetic grease is recommended because petroleum products might eat the little O-ring that keeps the QC holder in place. Now they are truly quick change.

Andrew Biggs

Good deal

At a pinch..........nose oil works as well.

I know, I know, that's disgusting........................but desperate times call for desperate measures. Just make sure no ones watching when you do it :)

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew Biggs

At a pinch, when painting with enamel (oil based) house paints and you need to get rid of some splashes or drips/stains and there's no turps lying around.............nose oil grease comes to the rescue!!!!!!

Perhaps there's a book in there somewhere...........1001 uses for nose oil grease :)

Cheers
Andrew

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think we should clarfy here that we are talking about exterior grease not interior It could get ugly if you mix them up Ahhemmmm ir so i have been told

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Sometime, you can find small tubes of teflon grease or silicone grease at the automotive parts stores, or dealers, for O-ring use. Volvo carries a grease for their heavy duty O-rings that are used to hang their exhaust pipes from, but the cost might be too much. The 3-in-1 oil product generally carries solvents with it, and I'm surprised that it wouldn't attack the O-ring, after a period of time. But, that depends upon the amount of natural rubber that makes up the ring composition. Perhaps, today, more and more of the rings, off the shelf, are more synthetic and pose less trouble. My old Land Rover required a special brake fluid due to the high natural rubber content of the brake cylinder seals. . .American fluids used to rot them, and you'd lose your brakes. The teflon product is probably what you should stick with.

BarryB

Just FYI, that tube of Super Lube will last for a hundred years if you use it only for QC lubrication. A little goes a long way. Nose oil was tried and didn't seem to work too well. Perhaps my nose oil is compromised by the soap and water that I use every day, but most likely, the fittings are so old that they needed more help. Work like new now though.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Be careful with the Super Lube. If you use too much it can foul the handpiece. A very slight smear on the o-ring is all that's needed. It also helps to swab out the inside with a lighter fluid moistened Q-tip. That will remove the gunk build-up. Then do the Super Lube on the o-ring and you're good to go.

I periodically change o-rings when they show signs of excessive wear, like chunks missing, etc. It's a good idea to have a few dozen on hand as they can lose their grip when they get too worn.

T.G.III

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Your local hardware store should carry 100% silicone plumbers grease ( specifically meant for for o-rings ), comes in a little plastic flip top container for less than $3 and will last several lifetimes with the amount needed for the collets

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Likewise, your local auto parts store should carry Silglyde which is used on auto weather stripping and rubber parts. It used to come in both a crayon type stick and in a tube.

BarryB

Thanks Sam. The lighter fluid is a new one for me, will do. Super thin with the Super Lube, works great. Replaced a couple O rings too. Most of them seem to be just fine. Really enjoying the Engraver's Cafe. Thanks for all your hard work.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use Buzzy's slick honey, been using it for years, started using it for paintball guns, when i used to play, of your not aware there are many o rings in different sizes in a paint ball gun, works great on o rings, its original use is for mounting bicycle and bicycles in general, so you have a multi use item that will last you a life time.

GunEngraver.com Guns, Knives & More

Last edited:

Sponsors