Question: Scoop Shaped Graver or Chisel Blank

1911maker

I've spent the weekend chiseling away on a customized aluminum practice plate that is about 3/4" thick to get the hang of using a chasing hammer. I definitely need to refine my technique as I was bleeding all over the practice plate... those chisel blanks are sharp little suckers! LOL

Anyhow, I'm attempting to engrave a high relief depiction of a women in a negligee and I was thinking that a scoop-shaped chisel blank would be ideal to highlight the folds in the nightie to get it her in 3D instead of a flat profile. The bit would be shaped like a bowl wood turning lathe tool (scooped - 1/2 the circumference of a circle). Does this chisel blank/graver exist in the engraving world? If not, any suggestions or techniques on how to do this?

Thanks... I'm really enjoying figuring out old school engraving via the great resources on this website!

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,
Try a carbide round, give it a 50 degree face and sharpen the round 1/2 way at 15 degrees. You can only make light cuts but it works..
AirAmp

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Metal is not chiseled with gravers shaped like wood carving gouges. That type of cutting face configuration will not hold up or cut on metal as it does on wood. Refer back to the link I provided earlier. You will notice that Carl does not use any tool shaped like a wood carving gouge.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if i was to choose a metal for practice-- ugh ! aluminum ? i'd only practice on the stuff if i had an actual job to do on it. to me, the most important aspect of h&c or pushgraving is the "feel" of what it is the tool is doing. this is one reason i dislike aluminum. the other, most any i've cut feels gummy, and seems to resist cutting.scoop gravers ? no. round gravers yes.

1911maker

Indeed, live and learn! I definitely get the gummy feeling with Aluminum... only upside from here. My next practice plate will be 4140!