Basic Engravng Class with Mike Dubber

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Basic Engraving Class with Mike Dubber

So, I'll bet most of you have never heard of the Marc Adams School of Woodworking. Well, it's just the "Largest Woodworking School in America" and there is still an opening for one student in my upcoming Hand Engraving Class, scheduled for May 9 -13, 2016.

Marc Adams contacted me two years ago about adding a special class to his schedule. He was interested in offering a class that was different, one that might add interest to the school curriculum. After some discussion we agreed to offer a class in Hammer and Chisel Engraving for the Woodworker. Our objective was to help folks learn the basics of engraving brass furniture hardware, woodworking tools and such, although the skills learned will apply to engraving any metal. We had 13 students and the class was a great success. The same class is offered for May 9-13 this year.

The MASW (Marc Adams School of Woodworking) is located about 12 miles south of Indianapolis, Indiana and it has an international staff of instructors. The school has over 20,000 square feet of woodworking classrooms offering study in every aspect of the craft.

This is a great opportunity for students to gain basic knowledge about hand engraving, no matter what the ultimate engraving objective might be. We step back a bit in time and study with Hammer and Chisel - the basic tools of the engravers historical art. The class routine is fun, and there is time to enjoy enjoy and learn engraving while working your fellow engravers. Better yet, the MASW cafeteria personnel prepares delicious lunches every day, and lunch is part of the class fee!:clapping:

Check out the MASW web site at www.marcadams.com to learn more about the school and the May engraving class.

Here are few photos of past classes:

Last edited:

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I love this Mike!
Glad to see you taking the art of engraving into new areas & introducing it to new folks!!

WL

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Weldon:

You know us old guys will never give up completely on the skills we learned when we were young. I engraved with a hammer and chisel for the first 17 years of my engraving career - they were all we had at the time!

Having said that, my hands and wrists still work very well after 47 years of engraving, and that's likely a result of my gradual transition to more use of the air gravers starting in the early 90's. Still, never an engraving day goes by that I don't pick up my hammer and chisel and cut some scroll.

Mike

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
Good luck with the class Mike, hope you have great students eager to learn the art.
Wish I had time to attend... maybe a private class in the near future

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
I am curious to know why you transition to air, I personally see little to no advantage to it and I would be interested about your view point as it may change mine.