Need advice on Stainless

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
I am looking for a folding knife with a stainless handle that can be engraved. As I look at on line catalogs the type of stainless is mentioned concerning blades, but seldom specified when it comes to a handle. Who has a folder with a 416 stainless handle? Any guidance appreciated. Under $100 at this point, it is only to get my feet wet.

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Spyderco knives are very popular with engravers because of their all stainless scales. Here are pictures of a Spyderco I cut about ten years ago.

Attachments

• Clays Spyderco R.jpg
    Clays Spyderco R.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 284
  • Clays Spyderco L.jpg
    Clays Spyderco L.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 279

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
I don't live far from Smoky Mtn. Knife Works in Kodak, Tn. I went up there and bought a no name stainless knife for about $3 and it was extremely hard ! I had to anneal it in my charcoal grill then it cut great . I've since had aluminum handle Bucks and other stainless knives that cut well out of the box. Spyderco sells a China made knife that cuts well and is around $25. I like the Buck brass bolster 110's and 112's too.
I like to cut knives for practice because it trains me to layout and plan the design as well as cut. Plus, they're cheap enough to give away to friends and potential customers.

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Like Doug and Roger, I also have cut my share of Spyderco knives and they cut a lot easier than the Kershaw folders in my opinion. I am currently cutting 7 Kershaw Leek folders for groomsmen gifts and I am spending considerable time sharpening. But, they are really nicely made little knives at a great price. Of course the custom knives from a good knifemaker usually cut easier because of the grade of stainless they generally use and I always look forward to those!

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you all for the information, and for the photo Roger. Next question - Do you engrave the knife as is, or do you disassemble it to engrave ? Some look like they come apart , others don't. I'm new to this so bear with me.

Skylineski

Disassemble!!! i hot glue the scale to a small block of wood so it fits in the vise easily. most take a star bit and come apart easily. pay attention to where the springs go. Good luck and post pics when you are done. i used knifes as practice, and then gave them to friends and family.

Doug

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If the knife can be disassembled , yes if not just hot glue to a block of wood to put in the vice you can also use a hot glue on the scale if you disassembled in life. To remove from the block use alcohol and it will break the hot glue bond. I put painters masking tape on the side to glue down a lot easier to clean up