California quiet air compressor users...still happy?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
A couple of years ago Carlos did a review of the California quiet air compressor. Other members said they also have them.

Is everyone still happy with the performance of their California compressor? I inquiring for my niece who will be taking a class with me this fall.

Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, an update, its quieter than your regular, its first initial startup/fill is the quietest subsequent fills are a little louder, been going strong since and it can keep up with my high speed bur, I was waiting for it to give up to buy a new larger compressor but it never did, still but the other compressor though. But for a starter compressor that doesn't break the bank and doesn't leave you deaf at least you can still have a normal conversation.

GunEngraver.com Guns, Knives & More

colinskelly

I just replaced my first one after 4 1/2 years with average of 15 - 20 hours per week. With free shipping on Amazon with a prime membership you can't beat the price.

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
Sam...
I just received a new one after the old California Air took a dive.... I used it almost everyday for close to 5 years 8 hours a day. I picked up the new on ebay for $108 plus $48 shipping. It's a Husky aluminum twin tanked California air. (Husky is a Home Depot store brand with same model number.

I am a very happy camper. :)

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thanks for the comments, guys. Much appreciated.

Carlos: What's your cutoff pressure? I have a Chinese compressor that I've been using for a few years on my student bench, and I lowered the cutoff pressure to 40-50 lbs and that made it a lot quieter since the final pressuring is when it ran the loudest. The gauge is in chinese and not PSI so I don't know exactly where it cuts off. :confused:

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Mine is 1HP 4.6 Gallon (total) twin tanks. Still running fine after a full year. Next time I will get larger tanks because the NSK rotary keeps it a bit too busy and I have it setup very close to my work. I even cut down the pressure to the NSK but it still hogs the air and although it is not all that loud I like to hear and feel the burr on the metal.

RT Bit and Spur

Elite Cafe Member
Instead of buying another compressor to get a larger tank, just add another tank and plumb it in.
Rod

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Instead of buying another compressor to get a larger tank, just add another tank and plumb it in.
Rod

I thought about this but was worried I would put too much strain on the 1hp motor and burn it up because it would have to run longer each cycle. Have you or anyone else tried this on this type of compressor? Thanks.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the comments, guys. Much appreciated.

Carlos: What's your cutoff pressure? I have a Chinese compressor that I've been using for a few years on my student bench, and I lowered the cutoff pressure to 40-50 lbs and that made it a lot quieter since the final pressuring is when it ran the loudest. The gauge is in chinese and not PSI so I don't know exactly where it cuts off. :confused:
Not sure but will check tomorrow, but if memory serves me, i think im at 60 65.

GunEngraver.com Guns, Knives & More

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
I would not get any smaller than 1 horse power Sam, I bought the twin tank 1/2 HP one and it did not handle the air consumption for the NSK, and lasted about a month, I returned it and got a 1HP 30 liter tank and had it for 2 years now, I don't use it as much as would like but still going strong. this is a newer model they have now but very similar.
https://sydneytools.com.au/chicago-hush30-aluminium-silenced-30l-air-compressor?fee=4&fep=2591&gclid=Cj0KEQjwrte4BRD-oYi3y5_AhZ4BEiQAzIFxnz794LJ9UUKfYJa_mHCfUZRPsQLOqpz5vEIfd0DOPeYaAjlU8P8HAQ

Richard.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have bought three of the one horsepower versions in the last five years.
Two of them still work sort of, but are worn out, and run all the time if I try to use them.
Actually, if I can get two years our of a compressor I am happy, as I use a lot of air, so I think they are a good choice.
Mine are actually the GMC version, but it is the same machine as a California.

Diacutter

Two years on mine and couldn't be happier with it. Bought an extra one for jobs around the house. Can't beat the price.

Dave

Latest posts

Sponsors