New Hammer for the John Rohner Collection

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well, I can check off a few more items from my bucket list. After talking to John at the FEGA convention in Vegas this year, he honored me by sending one of his hammers to engrave! It's been a dream of mine to develop enough skill to be asked ever since I saw the article about them several years ago in "The Engraver" magazine. I've always wanted to combine a cameo with metal engraving and this seemed the perfect chance to try.

Last year, my wife and I had the opportunity to travel up the Nile and see the greatest sites in Egypt. So an Egyptian theme has also been on my mind.

The cameo on the face of the hammer is, of course the Nefertiti Bust. This is probably the most familiar Egyptian work after the gold Tutankhamen mask.

Around the front ring is the Hieroglyphic text reading "JOHN ROHNER". The symbols in gold are the Ankh, often representing the "breath of life", and the Wedjat, or Eye of Horus, which is used mostly as a protective talisman.

On the upper part of the hammer are two carved elements often pictured together. The Uraeus (rearing cobra) and Neret or Nekhbet (Vulture), when carved together these usually represent the unity of the early kingdoms of Upper and Lower Egypt, and are commonly seen on the crowns of the Pharaohs.

At the very top is a tiny (3/8 inch) ivory Scarab (Khepri). Scarabs were equated with the god Atum, and other creation legends.

I polished the hammer quite a bit before starting because I knew that I wanted to blue it, to make the gold "pop" more.

This was a labor of love to honor John for all he has done for the engraving community. Too bad I just missed his birthday by a few days!

Attachments

• Hammer--Cameo-best-shot-copy.jpg
    Hammer--Cameo-best-shot-copy.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 278
  • Hammer-Ankh-copy.jpg
    Hammer-Ankh-copy.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 271
  • Hammer--Eye-of-Horus-copy.jpg
    Hammer--Eye-of-Horus-copy.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 268
  • Hammer=Hieroglyphics-3-copy.jpg
    Hammer=Hieroglyphics-3-copy.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 269
  • Hammer=Hieroglyphics-copy.jpg
    Hammer=Hieroglyphics-copy.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 270
  • Hammer-Cobra-copy.jpg
    Hammer-Cobra-copy.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 273
  • Hammer-Vulture-copy.jpg
    Hammer-Vulture-copy.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 271
  • Hammer--Cobra-side--full-length-copy.jpg
    Hammer--Cobra-side--full-length-copy.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 276
  • Hammer-Vulture-side-Full-length-copy.jpg
    Hammer-Vulture-side-Full-length-copy.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 270
  • Hammer-scarab-copy.jpg
    Hammer-scarab-copy.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 275
  • Hammer--Cameo--Tilted--best-shot-copy.jpg
    Hammer--Cameo--Tilted--best-shot-copy.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
One more goal achieved and another stunning piece of work. Doc the magic just never ends.
It was great to see your work up-close at Scott's last year. No idea how it how it is done. Patience ! Thanks for sharing.

Eric

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mark, John called me this morning to tell me how fantastic this hammer is. I came on here when I got home to see if there were any pictures of it. yes there was......
Wow.!!!!! Super Stellar work.

I'm planning to go out there in late July to re-photograph the collection. When I took the first set of photographs a decade ago there was 24 hammers and it hadn't been added to in almost twenty years. Now he is at 84 I think, and there are some simply phenomenal pieces in it, yours being in that category.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks to all for the compliments. Scott, I'm glad John called you. He and I spoke for quite a while yesterday and I mentioned to him that the photo record of all his hammers needed updating. He wanted to also do a video of the hammers on a turntable to show all the angles and best views, which would be very cool to see! I know you did the original photos and hope you can post all the new hammers on your website or on this Forum. It's something we all want to see.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Doc, yeah we've been talking and exploring ways to properly display these miniature artworks. I started constructing a circular device to do that a couple of years ago but got sidetracked by life. The biggest problem is the need to be seen from so many angles to be properly appreciated. Very time consuming to photograph. And very time consuming to install in a web program to allow a viewer to "scan" over them a section at a time. And being able to monetize the end result enough to at least break even with the amount of time invested for the photographer and programmer.

The first look at the original hammers that was on the cover of FEGA magazine. Doing this photography and collaging on Photoshop is simple in comparison to what we have envisioned.

Last edited:

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
OK, here are some answers to questions from some e-mails and PMs I've received recently. The total number of hours spent on carving and inlaying the hammer was 46. This does not count the hours working out the final design and the refinishing of the hammer. The breakdown goes approximately like this, 3 hrs. for the gold banding, 7.5 hrs. for the hieroglyphics, 5 hrs. for the gold inlays, carving the cobra and vulture 8 hrs. the cameo took 9 hours and that stupid, tiny scarab kicked my butt for 5 hrs. Fitting the scarab and the cameo plus bluing, polishing and some other finicky work took up the rest of the time. The background removal was done with flats and the GRS 850 high speed rotary handpiece. If there are any more questions, just ask. And thanks for your interest.

Latest posts

Sponsors