Help, please: Setting Burs for steel?

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello, everyone Ive been searching but cant seem to find what im looking for, Can someone recommend some setting burs that will stand up to harder metal such as steel and stainless steel. I know nothing will last forever but want to get the most use.

For starters I want to do some flush setting.

thanks again.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What shape stone & what kind of setting are you doing?
I have some CZs to practice with but ultimately I'd like to set some diamonds I think it would just be the regular shape not sure the technical name for them.

GunEngraver.com Guns, Knives & More

jb1983

Elite Cafe Member
If you are doing bead setting/bright/Pave. What was mentioned a nice set of Busch drills and Busch ball bur will do the trick. I like www.OttoFrei.com. If you are flush setting/channel get some hart bur to under cut. A set of setting burs is nice but you are working with steel so not necessary to have I only use them for prong setting.

Good luck

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
You can prolong the life of your burrs by applying wintergreen oil to the burr every now and again. Simply pour a little bit of the oil on a cotton ball in a small container and dab the burr point on the oiled cotton wool. Smells nice too!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
You can prolong the life of your burrs by applying wintergreen oil to the burr every now and again. Simply pour a little bit of the oil on a cotton ball in a small container and dab the burr point on the oiled cotton wool. Smells nice too!
you too ? i used the oil a long time ago. i had some cranky stuff, that just didn't want to be engraved. the wintergreen worked batter than the others i tried.

dhall

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I think Brian Marshall wrote about some health warnings from using oil of wintergreen. Long ago I used it, and it did smell nice, but now I'd probably opt for some other type of cutting fluid or bur lubricant, based on Brian's research and warning.

Thank you,
Doug

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think Brian Marshall wrote about some health warnings from using oil of wintergreen. Long ago I used it, and it did smell nice, but now I'd probably opt for some other type of cutting fluid or bur lubricant, based on Brian's research and warning.

Thank you,
Doug
If I'm not mistaken Lynton Mckenzie attributed some part of his troubles to that same stuff im sure Sam can fill in the gaps.

GunEngraver.com Guns, Knives & More

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
Rio Grande has some Bur Lube that you can use while setting and using burs.
I use it on all my burs and also on my Jewelers saw.

Latest posts

Sponsors