Other side of silver disc

NicGregson

Here's the other side of that silver disc I engraved. Just have to rivet the frame together and do some proper photos.
In hindsight would have gone deeper with the relief work...and put some more scrolls to fill up some negative space.
Let me know what you think. Thanks for looking :)

IMG_2673.JPG IMG_2674.JPG IMG_2669.jpg IMG_2670.jpg

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i think it's nice. i'm also a fan of negative space. what you show here has a bit too much open area. i like to balance the design and background so they are complementary. yours is a bit shy to my eye, but not bad

NicGregson

Yes I agree. Letters should've been a bit bolder and larger. I think also should've gone deeper with the background due to the large areas to make it stand out more. Thanks monk :)

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Think about doing a border line around the letters to accentuate them giving an added dimension thereby visually increasing their size and at the same time diminishing the dead space.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Yes I agree. Letters should've been a bit bolder and larger. I think also should've gone deeper with the background due to the large areas to make it stand out more. Thanks monk :)
the problem is-- there's so many options and techniques one can use on a given job. i'm not sure there is a right or wrong way these days. the recipient will surely like this. non engravers don't have the critical eye that we all have developed.

NicGregson

Totally agree. This larger scale work is very new to me as I'm use to doing small scrolls and lettering on jewellery. This is a lot more interesting and fun! Thanks for your input, its greatly appreciated :)

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member

Hey Nic,
What are you using to cut this with ? Air or H&C ?
In pic #5 there are chisel marks indicative of hammer and chisel, while in the others it looks like air graver.

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Actually I like the negative space, it is a way to focus the eye on the main "subject" of the engraving. I have more of a problem with the shading of the surrounding ornament and with the ornament itself. I think that the ornament should have been more delicate the counterbalance the strictness of the monogram, the shading should have been fuller (not heavier) to increase the three dimensional effect as the ornament stands above the background.

NicGregson

I use a Palm control, no H&C. I think the picture looks like chisel marks is because there may have been some debris in the cuts that make them look like heavy progression marks.
Yes I agree, my shading needs a lot of work......on to more practice :)
Thanks for your feedback :)

Latest posts

Sponsors