Question: inlay

zahar

Elite Cafe Member
Hello everybody. Explain to someone. how to properly prepare a copper wire to the inlay? My wire is not soft enough for inlays. Even after annealing.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I bought a roll of dead soft copper wire from Rio Grande it works great I can pull it without any trouble through my wire draw plate. It good for teaching students. J.J.

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
what is source of your wire?
I was given 50m of .5mm "copper" wire once, that turned out to be copper placed steel wire.

if it was ordered, and not given/found, then I'm not sure what the issue might be. wrapping it up in about a 2-4cm diameter coil, and heating it till it all relaxes and lays flat should soften it up to be ready for inlay.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
heat the wire till a dull red color. once it gets to room temperature, the fire scale (oxidation) must be removed. pickling will work-- fast-- fine sandpaper-- slow-- will also work.

zahar

Elite Cafe Member
it is important that the copper must be clean without impurities or do not necessarily?

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
To anneal copper without the need to pickle or sand the wire:
Evenly heat the copper wire coil to a dull red colour and quench immediately in methylated spirits. It will be dead soft and perfectly free of oxides!

zahar

Elite Cafe Member
Another question. What kind of copper, should be used? Thanks to all.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors