Dr. Henry M. Wheeler's Past Master's Jewel

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I recently came into the possession of Dr. Henry M. Wheeler's Acacia Lodge No.4 Past Master's jewel.

Doc Wheeler is famous for helping to thwart the robbery of the 1st National Bank of Northfield, Minnesota on September 7, 1876. He shot and killed gang member Clell Miller from across the street with a Smith's carbine.

Doc Wheeler practiced medicine in Grand Forks, ND, was mayor of the city, and was Worshipful Master of Acacia Lodge No.4, A.F.&A.M. in 1883, 1884 and 1885, he was also Grand Master of Masons of Dakota Territory when the jurisdiction was split when North Dakota and South Dakota became states in 1889.

I wanted to show everyone the jewel and some of the hand engraved detail. It's actually pretty rough by today's standards but... it's cool anyway. It's a real piece of history.

HM Wheeler PM Jewel_Acacia Lodge No 4_1883-1884-1885.jpg HM Wheeler PM Jewel_Acacia Lodge No 4_1883-1884-1885_Moon Face.jpg HMWheeler_PM_AciaciaNo4.jpg

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
Nice Jewel a lot nicer than todays stamp ones. Good bit of history as well.
I had to go back to see the face beautiful

Eric

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Very cool piece. Kind of uncommon to see the lettering done in relief.

I wouldn't have noticed the face if Van hadn't mentioned it!

I engraved some jewels for Louisiana GMs a long time ago.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've seen the moonstone jewels before. They are not as common as a sapphire jewel. That's quite a nice treasure to have. I used to make, repair and modify jewels at my family's jewelry store

Latest posts

Sponsors