Question: Preferred vise for setting under scope

NicGregson

Hi guys,
I just have a question, mainly for those who do setting under the microscope. I've started doing some practice setting under the scope and I currently use the regular size GRS ball vise. I feel this is massive over kill as cannot tilt it really (piece goes out of view) and just not as easy to operate as a stick of shellac up against the peg lol. So I was wondering who uses the GRS micro ball for setting and does it have a low profile for microscope work? Or has anyone tried out the new Ringenie positioning vise?
Looking to increase my efficiency under the scope in general for engraving, but definitely hitting a snag with setting....as I find it hard to quickly check level of stones without having to chase the work.
Apart from those two vises I was also looking at the low profile vise that Steve Lindsay sells (it doesn't have bearings, its for use on a turntable). Does anyone have any experience with this one?
Sorry, massively long winded message. Thanks guys

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
http://www.juratools.com/

I use a microblock & a few bits from Jura, you`ll want some of the step raisers for it to help raise or lower the vice quickly while working to keep the job in focus with minimal scope adjustment (which takes a few seconds).
The problem with setting is the need to keep changing angles of viewing while working.

It takes a little while to get used to but I don`t think there is a better method than this & you`ll soon be working at a good speed with minimal fuss fairly quickly.
You will need to steady the vice a fair bit with your free hand since it`s quite light...which is good in a way because it`s easy to pick up & hold under the scope to check your stone level ect.

Last edited:

NicGregson

Yes, efficiency is definitely what I want. I like the look of some of the jura parts especially the rotating section for ring like objects that you can shellac/thermoloc them in place.
I think I'll have to give the microblock a go. Have you tried using the orbital ring fixture for setting?
Thanks mate

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I like the little GRS miniball for small parts. If you plan on doing anything larger the GRS standard block is a good one.

matthew.townsley

Elite Cafe Member
I just grabbed a microball after having a low profile vise. I haven't used it yet as I'm trying to adjust my work area, but I bought for the same line of thinking as yourself.

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
Phil, that's a great idea . Is there a formula for the dimensions for the ball or is it sort of hit or miss ? And what about holding it up on that round edge while cutting ? Seems like a odd sort of oblong ball with some strategically placed flats would work wonderfully. Sort of like a soccerball . I'll be making one for sure ! Thanks for posting.

Sponsors