Bowie knife

Jerry Fisk

I am not on the level of you masters here but I am learning. As you all know practice practice which is what I am doing.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Jerry, you are so right about "Your" need to practice.
I'll be sending you some practice knifes shortly. :thumbsup:

Jerry Fisk

Thanks y'all. I normally just lurk on here and try to pick up tips then go try them out. I have very little talent but I do have persistace which I have found goes a long ways for me getting things done. Thank you folks for helping me along even when you did know you were doing it. I will keep cutting and slowly get better.

Marcelo

Elite Cafe Member
A great talent of world renown. A happy cutlery foundation in Brazil. At an event in Brazil saw Jerry gift several people. Act of kindness from a very modest person. Thanks a lot. Beautiful work.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jerry , itis good to see you here.
You are a living legend in the world of bladesmiths, and a very great addition to the engraving forum.
Lovely work!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Thanks y'all. I normally just lurk on here and try to pick up tips then go try them out. I have very little talent but I do have persistace which I have found goes a long ways for me getting things done. Thank you folks for helping me along even when you did know you were doing it. I will keep cutting and slowly get better.
self evaluation is where your practice should be concentrating. "you have very little talent" ! we are all a bit modest i suppose, but little talent ? if you are lacking in talent, you sure botched this job ! the knives you show just scream talent !

Jerry Fisk

Thanks monk but I disagree. Each should truly know their level. Out of what I would call a 10 I am a 4. I struggle with each leaf. It does not come easy to me as I never had any type of art class and we had to work to survive as children so there was no time to doddle draw to learn how to. Each of us boys had to go to work for both private and public jobs at 13 years of age. I look at some of the work here, I go to some of yalls sites, study and practice one leaf at a time. It will take me a month to understand one leaf structure. It is getting better, sure, but so long of a way to go to be average. I do not understand figure drawing well so I will stick with scroll work. Besides that I have the marketing to fool with. As the maker of the piece I have to be careful to engrave it with a specific critter and put it out there on spec. That narrows the market for me in general.

By the way, that bowie shown here, the handle is from the last of the 13 trees that George Washington planted. It is horse Chestnut. The steels came from building two of the Trade Center and from the bombing of Pearl Harbor [ apiece of tram track that was used to push ammo out to the ships on]

I have a real big project going now. The client calls it "The American bowie". It will have a layer of steel for each man woman and child in America according to the census. That's a bit of 318,000,000 layers. Historical handle materials as well as steels from American Revolution to current times. It has taken me 3 years to gather up the steels. I am struggling on what to engrave on it then figure how how to do it.

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
Ok, I was trying to wrap my brain around a 318m layer blade but my son the math brain went to calculating and said a 19 layer blank would need to be folded about 28 times. That was a little easier to understand. I love a story to go with most anything and I you have some great material. Great looking knife and story too ! Thanks for posting. Let's see more !

Jerry Fisk

Speedy,it was not that simple. I have a specific number of people, it was the number the census gave Jan 1st. I also had to start off with 13 layers, one for each colony. As the steels scales away from welding, new steel or layers must be added, so the layer count changes. I have to end up with enough to make a 13 inch blade. I have steels from ships,cars,planes,bridges,statues,guns,tanks,trucks,wagons,railroad spikes and others I cannot remember right now but I have them listed and catalogued. A big problem is forging all of that to size in order to weld

Anyway I am still pondering over the right way to engrave it. Any ideas throw it to me please.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was just looking through some old (circa 1790-1860) "Columbia/Lady Liberty" engravings and thought something along that line would be perfect. I even saw one with Lady Liberty holding the American flag in an advancing pose. Kinda struck me as very patriotic and I'm thinking of something similar to engrave on a replica Original 1860 Henry rifle.

Bill

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Jerry, not knowing the amount of area to be engraved is difficult to give ideas. I engraved a buckle for a fellow with a couple of flags, cannon, musket and sword over a ribbon with lettering. The inspiration was from an 18th c. gorget. Thinking of the name of the knife project maybe some of those motifs or trade card art would fit your interest. I look forward to seeing the finished project. Your work is exceptional and your diligence to engrave is completing the beauty of your talent.
Mark

Latest posts

Sponsors