Question: what to look for?

Sgwiley

Banned
At first I thought this was a dumb question but the more I thought about it, it was a question i asked myself and keep asking. I am a beginner too and the cut is elusIive....the proper depth, width, etc. I like to really cut the metal and go deep but I have seen extremely shallow engraving...almost like scratches.

I think the answer may be a clean, intentional cut no matter how shallow or deep. Personally, I am striving for cuts with personality, flair and some rythym...
Kind of like being in the groove. I don't know if that is right or wrong but what the heck.

Sgwiley

Banned
I also welcome comments by the master engravers on this site because this is an interesting topic to me. What is a good cut? And does it matter if it is deep or shallow?

Sam's DVD's and Videos on Demand are helping me quite a bit. A someone fairly new to engraving myself, I recommend them to de-mystify things quite a bit. A little while ago when I was first getting started, I had bought gravers totalling about $100 and ground them incorrectly with no guidance at all. Had I just bought Sam's DVD on Graver Sharpening beforehand, I could've saved myself time, misery, and money. So it is with the other DVD's he and other engravers offer. If they seem expensive, believe me, learning on my own was much more expensive per my previous example I gave. That alone was worth the price of admission, so to speak.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Design is THE most important part of engraving. Great design can carry the work even if the cutting is below standard. When I look at engraving it's design first, then the accuracy and precision of the cutting second.

Sgwiley

Banned
This will be my last post. I promise. BUT I TOTALLY disagree. I find the cuts VERY interesting and the personality of engraving is what intrigues me. Sam Alfano is amazing in his technique but I will not follow him, not what I get excited about...since this is Sam's forum, obviously, I send my respect but this is not me. I'm not a kiss ass like so many people on the forum and i do not see anyone challenging anything.

Can't do the "yes sir, thank you your highness" thing that is so prevalent on this forum.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My. You seem to be a very angry person. I hope that in time you will find engraving a fun thing.

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Damn wiley, you need some serious help. You asked for opinions, Sam gave you his opinion. He, nor anyone else, asked you to kiss his or anyone's else's ass about it. Your misunderstood artist act is getting really old.

Todd

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wiley, is not a happy camper on Easter Sunday, the Sam you speak of takes moments out of his day to make you and I a better engraver, he answers emails on engraving questions, and gives FEGA seminars like many others for free. Yet and you come and use HIS forum, are you even a contributing member? Or are you a blood sucking leech?

GunEngraver.com Guns, Knives & More

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
This will be my last post. I promise. BUT I TOTALLY disagree. I find the cuts VERY interesting and the personality of engraving is what intrigues me. Sam Alfano is amazing in his technique but I will not follow him, not what I get excited about...since this is Sam's forum, obviously, I send my respect but this is not me. I'm not a kiss ass like so many people on the forum and i do not see anyone challenging anything.

Can't do the "yes sir, thank you your highness" thing that is so prevalent on this forum.

I'm sorry my forum and I have not met your expectations.

Best of luck to you with your endeavors.

Riflesmith

Elite Cafe Member
Sgwiley, just my two cents here, it seems you are basing you abilities and quality of work on the approval of others who have spent years cutting lines and designs in all types of metals. Appealing design and the cutting of those designs will take you years also. To base your "approval" on others opinions especially when you desire to go off in your own direction is self defeating. Anything you design and cut will still have the same basic cuts as any other engraved art. To use this forum effectively you must be able to except the disappointment of negative criticism and rejection and that goes for demanding that the Masters respond to your questions. Every engraver eventually develops their own style and you will be no different. You'll still need to develop the basics. JMHO

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
An old Arabic proverb says...
"The Fortunate and wise is he who learns and benefits from others, and the misfortunate and unwise person is he who relies on himself."

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well, I for one will miss Sqwiley's posts! I find them so "invigorating" that i don't need any more caffeine to get my heart thumpin'. There is a mental disorder called "Munchhausen's Disease by Proxy" which you can investigate on Wikipedia if you're interested. There is a newer version that has been called "Munchhausen's by Internet" in which sufferers post claims of various serious diseases (like cancers) just to gain sympathy comments. It is a desperate cry for attention. If they don't get the immediate responses they feel they deserve, they become belligerent and attack those they first sought to bond with. Sqwiley's posts have a distinctive duality to them, ranging from "please help this soon to be highly lauded artist", to "the hell with you guys, since you can't recognize true genius when you see it!" Whatever, I find them highly entertaining as a "There, but for the grace of God, go I" sort of moments. I very well may be wrong. But, after reviewing all of her posts ( In BOTH of her incarnations on this Forum), I think she has some very real problems.

Sponsors