Graver geometry for English scroll

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
I did a search for this and came up with an entry by Marcus Hunt, Nov. 2006. He describes it like this. 50 degree face, 15 degree lift, 115 degree heel. I guess they use different names in England. When he says a 115 degree heel, what he really means is that he uses a 115 degree graver as opposed to a 105 or 120 degree graver. am I correct?

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I like the Lindsay 116 Universal template for sharping my gravers and for cutting the English scrolls.J.J.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
since joining the forum, i've read quite a bit on this geometry thingy. some was clear as mud, some very clear and understandable. till joining the forum, i really never gave much thought about geometry. when a graver cut, life was good. when it wouldn't, i went back to the stone till it did. all that changed, as i obtained sharpening advice, toys and such. in spite of all the templates, graver sharpeners, diamond disks, diamond powders, and a bench full of junk, i rely on very few gravers to achieve my goal. i found i was more interested in numbers and angles, and concentrating less on what was really important. having said that, i still would not give up the toys !

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In answer to your original question, YES. Marcus means a 115 degree graver. Which is virtually identical to J.J's Lindsay 116 Universal template.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Speaking of Marcus, he has not been active here for a while. Any one know how he is doing

Latest posts

Sponsors