Question: What adhesive is recomended for silver blank sheet backing for vise

Bob1234

I apologize for this basic question, but if I have an odd size silver sheet piece that I want to chisel and hammer engrave, what glue or bonding agent should I use to mount it to a wood or steel backing plate. Obviously, after engraving, I will want to remove the backing and adhesive.

I have viewed Youtube video's and seen pieces glued to a wood backing, which are held in a ball vice, but don't know what they are using for the adhesive.

Thanks for the response.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
I've never had any luck with spray adhesives, double sided carpet tape or any other bonding agent for except for good old automotive Bondo.
Bondo forms a solid subsurface which absorbs vibration. Tapes, adhesives, hot glues and such give way to vibration.
Experiment ! What's good for me or others may not even come close to what you need or want.

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
Personally I use a hot glue gun for plates easy to put on and off. When finished your engraving put the item in the freezer for a bit and the two will separate quite easily. Be gentle and it will work well. Best to try it on a scrap piece to see how it works. Good Luck

Eric

Bob1234

Thanks

Thank you for the excellent and quick response. Good suggestions!

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
I cover the back of what I am engraving with painters tape. Then I hot glue it to a block of wood. I remove with heat when engraving is complete and the painters tape stays on. It is easily removed and there is no sticky hot glue on the project. The painters tape covers a large area and gives better holding power and the hot glue sticks better to the tape than metal. It is just what I came up with and seems to work for me.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I sawed out some 3/4" oak the width and length of the piece (in my case, for bracelets) and cut three saw kerfs about 1/4" deep lengthwise. Then, I used my heat gun and some GRS Thermo-Loc to hold it. Just heat it up to release it and clean it up with acetone. It seems to work for me.

Thermo-Loc Sticks

Like anything else, there's always more than one way to skin a cat. :)

peteb

Elite Cafe Member
I have milled thru .050 sterling with 1/8" mills taking about .005 at a time using I.P.G two sided tape from http://www.itape.com. The tape I use is 2" wide and has never failed and is removed with alcohol. i apply clamping pressure to assure that the sterling is held as flat as possible for a brief time before milling. Works great while engraving as well.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
thermoloc and hot melt glue. thermoloc will release with the application (careful) of additional heat when done cutting. the hot melt releases almost immediately with isopropyl alcohol. i experimented for awhile with super glue. the super glue was not too friendly.
the thermoloc and hot melt glue will work on any metal. thermoloc, available from grs, allows one to create holding fixtures that eliminate holding problems. these fixtures can save a lot of time for doing lighters and most any other object with similar dimensions and shape.

Latest posts

Sponsors