a testament to Jun-Air quality.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i heard a loud hissing coming from the basement right after doing some engraving. a quick investigation revealed the pressure switch (OEM, but Condor, not Jun-Air- almost 30 yrs old, nothing lasts) was stuck on my 4-head Jun-Air compressor. the pop valve worked as it was supposed to. even with a big leak, it still had run the tank pressure up to 220psi before i unplugged it. yes, you read that right. and the heads were barely warm.
:shock:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
ugh ! i recvd. a new jun-air as a gift maybe a year ago. this unit has brought only one issue-- so quiet, i sometimes forget to turn it off. no biggie, as the system doesn't leak. i'm just lucky. it's a good thing you shut yours down before you know what !

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
here's an update folks-

i went to the Jun-Air/Gast website looking for a suitable replacement switch. $300!!!!! AND "delivery usually within 15 days". WTH?

so I figured no matter how fancy the compressor, it's still just air & electricity, and went searching for a substitute online. i found multiple acceptable switches for my application between $40-$60, including some Condors that were virtually identical to the one shown on the Jun-Air/Gast site. 600% markup?!?! over retail?

installed a Square-D Pumptrol from Northern Tool for $50. it doesn't have the type of unloader that allows containment & muffling of the bleed air, so for the moment there's a rag tied around the switch to keep oil from misting over everything. eventually I'll replace it with something closer to the original set-up.

it pays to shop around!

one other thing- since the original pop-off valve was clearly insufficient to bleed off enough air to keep runaway pressures at a safe level, i added a second one in the line. now if it ever happens again it will have TWO big leaks.

Last edited: