Band saw for cutting precious metal

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Maybe this one? it sounds good.

Two problems I can see from the git-go with that Micro-Mark saw is the stroke length and the inability to use broken sawblades. You can see in the video that only about half an inch of the blade is being used. It won't last long that way and that section of the blade will dull or break. I don't see any way to narrow the blade holder to accept shorter, broken blades such as the standard jeweler's saw frame allows.

PS: Plus, a third observation... Being you will be changing broken blades often, I bet getting the bottom end clamped in and tightened would be a chore in itself. You could have a standard jeweler's saw frame re-adjusted, the blade mounted, and back to sawing before you could get out the tools to change a blade on the Micro-Mark.

Just my two cents worth. :)

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Personally I’m partial to Silverchip’s suggestion. A piercing saw with bench pin is hard to beat. If you buy a scrollsaw make sure you get one with variable speed. I have an old Hegner Multimax that is wonderful for wood or cutting with heavier blades. However, it turns into a blade eating monster on the finer blades needed for cutting details in thin sheet. Just running the saw is all it takes.
the dw 788 is variable speed. as far as i'm concerned, the time saved using the powered way of sawing out shapes is way better . at least for me, i spend way too much time with hand sawing.

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
I've spent a fair bit of time experimenting with a Hawk G4 precision scroll saw and a New Concept automated saw.....trying to cut silver, copper, and steel. I finally had to raise the white flag and surrender....I could not get the kinks worked out. Several of my spur making buddies also tried the New Concept saw without much success. I know it can be done because I've seen tech reps for Hegner and for Hawk who can cut metal and make it look it extremely easy. Well it ain't easy! Like my friend Silverchip, I will stick with a hand held jewelers saw.

Stewart

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Two problems I can see from the git-go with that Micro-Mark saw is the stroke length and the inability to use broken sawblades. You can see in the video that only about half an inch of the blade is being used. It won't last long that way and that section of the blade will dull or break. I don't see any way to narrow the blade holder to accept shorter, broken blades such as the standard jeweler's saw frame allows.

PS: Plus, a third observation... Being you will be changing broken blades often, I bet getting the bottom end clamped in and tightened would be a chore in itself. You could have a standard jeweler's saw frame re-adjusted, the blade mounted, and back to sawing before you could get out the tools to change a blade on the Micro-Mark.

Just my two cents worth. :)

You are totally right Doc, all of the above!, I didn't think of the blade change, a forget I went through the same problem with a wood cutting scroll saw :rolleyes:

Richard.