Winchester 150th Anniversary Commemorative Model 1866 Rifles

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Doc,There laser engraved, just the words Baron technology may be a clue. J.J.

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have looked at hi-res images of the Winchester 150th commemorative rifle and it was clearly decorated by a mass production method. To me it appears to have been acid etched. At a price point of $3,329. MSRP they could hardly have been hand engraved considering the usual mark up.

FWIW, Baron can use laser, roll stamping, acid etching, and they also have a hand engraver, Rob Bunting. So it is incorrect to assume that all Baron products are laser decorated.

Below is a cropped close-up of the gun in question.

Attachments

• 150th comm-Rcu.jpg
    150th comm-Rcu.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 187

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I checked out their (Baron's) site and was not impressed. Some of the work looked like they were done by rotary tools. Maybe it was a bad image or just my imagination, but it was not what I expected.
Most folks have no idea what hand engraving is. A case in point; I had a friend tell me his neighbor (also a friend) won a hand engraved Beretta shotgun with gold inlays from Ducks Unlimited. Well, he wanted my "expert" advice on what was won. It was a nice 12 gauge Beretta but was just laser engraved with very simple lines. The "gold inlaid ducks" were also laser engraved straight lines with some sort of gold filling. Hated to burst his bubble, but he decided to sell it and make a little profit. So much for the public's understanding of true hand engraving.

Bill

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have looked at hi-res images of the Winchester 150th commemorative rifle and it was clearly decorated by a mass production method.

Thanks Roger. It confirms my suspicion... they are crappy POS's. I wouldn't buy a raffle ticket on one for fear I'd win it. What a way to celebrate 150 years. Too bad they did away with pistol whipping years ago. :)

Riflesmith

Elite Cafe Member
Unfortunately it's all about the money! Why spend a couple of grand to have them hand engraved when they could spend a couple of hundred and sell them for the same price as a hand engraved piece? They'll pawn them off as engraved and not mention a thing about the process whether etched, machined or roll stamped. Is it any wonder the general public is ignorant of the engraving process and what true hand engraving really looks like? What a shame! I would have on of those POS!

Thanks Doc for posting this!

monk

Staff member
I have looked at hi-res images of the Winchester 150th commemorative rifle and it was clearly decorated by a mass production method. To me it appears to have been acid etched. At a price point of $3,329. MSRP they could hardly have been hand engraved considering the usual mark up.

FWIW, Baron can use laser, roll stamping, acid etching, and they also have a hand engraver, Rob Bunting. So it is incorrect to assume that all Baron products are laser decorated.

Below is a cropped close-up of the gun in question.
jmho, roger. the gun would look better without the crappy stuff.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Since were on the topic, what about all the engraved stuff Talo puts out, and not speaking of Powleys work. Just all the other stuff they put out.

GunEngraver.com Guns, Knives & More

monk

Staff member
some time ago, i got to see a commemorative john wayne lever gun. at a distance, a real looker. up close an personal, it would have made a possum puke. i was gabberflasted when the gent at the gunshop assured me it was genuine engraving ! not sure, but i think this would have been a gun commemorating the dukes' birthday.

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
Too bad it is all about the money any more. Sell the numbers to make a profit. I believe the only thing that Winchester makes in the US anymore is ammo. Browning is the same way (not including the very highest of grades still over sea) If the general public just had a clue about the dollar they spent and were it went. Budweiser now a German company, Winchester made in Asia, Browning made in Asia, all of the clothing, safes, cases, glasses, Knifes on and on and on just slap a trade mark name on it, say it is a limited run and that = profit. I personally speculate that our truest world famed gun companies have just taken the profit and put it in their pockets rather than reinvest it in them self’s. So that’s how Asia made so many in rows in our gun business. Now before anyone jumps down on me the last pistol I bought was a Ruger MADE IN the USA. The one before that a Springfield XD 5â€￾ tack that spent some time in Springfield arms gun smiting shop in an America round of 45 cal. I drive a Chevy, ride a Harley and own a GRS Graver Smith.
BUY AMERICAN
Sorry about my soap box I am off it now.

Riflesmith

Elite Cafe Member
The problem is that most gun companies are a subsidiary of a corporate conglomerate where they rob Peter to pay Paul in order to keep the shareholders happy with profits. That's just the way business operates these days but that doesn't make it right. The general consumer mentality nowadays is "I want it now and I want it cheap!" and there is a dwindling appreciation for the craftsman and artesian. The real question is...."How do we change that line of thinking?"

Any ideas?

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The problem is that most gun companies are a subsidiary of a corporate conglomerate where they rob Peter to pay Paul in order to keep the shareholders happy with profits. That's just the way business operates these days but that doesn't make it right. The general consumer mentality nowadays is "I want it now and I want it cheap!" and there is a dwindling appreciation for the craftsman and artesian. The real question is...."How do we change that line of thinking?"

Any ideas?

The more it gets shown on TV and Social Media the better nowadays. Younger people (new customers) use those mainly.

Latest posts

Sponsors