Help, please: In need of a good source of examples of engraving

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Guys and Gals

I have an engraving job coming up on some John Rigby rifles and I need a good source of examples of the type of engraving that was used on these guns.

Thanks in advance.

Jim Parker

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Jim,There are some wonderful books on engraved English rifles I've seen them at gun shows if you google engraved English rifles I think that your best bet. J.J.P.S. I just gooled English rifles and found 42 books.

Last edited:

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks JJ

I was hoping to find something that was directly related to the Rigby engraving. I found a good book on Brithish engraving in general which looks like a good book to have but again I am looking for something that is Rigby related. We have books on Winchester and Colts so I was hoping to find a similar book on Rigby guns. I am searching the net, I was just hoping that someone here could relay a good source.

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Bama,

If I understand what you are looking for probably does not exist in a book form that depicts just identified as Rigby engraving. Just about every style/form of engraving exist on Rigby firearms. I do not believe there is any form or style that is always recognizable as "Rigby". Over the years Rigby has existed many "In House" as well as contract engraver have engraved for Rigby and in as many styles and forms. Probably more fine and large English Scroll has been done than any other style.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A good place to look are auction sites and high end gun dealers that handle those guns. They usually take really good close up photos of the ones currently in their catalogs.

When I said auction sites, what I meant was something like Rock Island, or James D Julia, not gun broker.

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Rodger, I have a client that has some percussion Rigby target rifles that he has rebreeched. I have the old breeches that are engraved to go by so that is not the problem. l was just hoping to have a source for reference to add to my library. :biggrin:

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
I am looking at these two books for my library. Any comments as to the quality of either as far as photography good or bad?

British Gun Engraving by Douglas Tate and Gun Engraving by Christopher Austyn

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jim I have both of those books and they are excellent references, however they are heavy on double barreled shotguns. I know you mainly work in the muzzle loading realm and there is not a lot of that in those books.

As far as images for reference, Tim's comment is spot on. Julia's and Rock Island Auctions have the best images of all the auction houses and their premier gun auctions are full of high end guns.

Below is an example of a breech-loading Rigby that may have similar engraving to the muzzle loading era.

Attachments

• J. RIGBY #1908-L.jpg
    J. RIGBY #1908-L.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 277
  • J. RIGBY #1908-R.jpg
    J. RIGBY #1908-R.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 276
  • J. RIGBY #1908-T.jpg
    J. RIGBY #1908-T.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 275

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Rodger

You are correct in that my interest in engraving started with my love of the Kentucky Long Rifle and wanted to learn to engrave so that I could engrave the rifles that I built. But as I travel along on my engraving path I have found that I love to engrave and that I want to progress into the modern side. While this job is still in the percussion erea it is a little above Kentucky engraving. I have been studying and practicing Marcus Hunt's material which I think will help me in this project.

Again thanks for you help and input.

Jim

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
My apologies to Roger, this was not intended for sure. I have had the pleasure of meeting Roger and hold him in the most high respect not only as a person but in his knowledge of engraving.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
J.J., James D. Julia's current and past catalogs are for sale both current and most of the past sales. they are a wonderful photo source. I have bought a couple of them that have guns of particular interest to me. great description and histories of many models. Particularly rare models. Fred

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's a fine tradition of renaming things. Zhonghau, Deutschland, Netherlands, Nippon springs to mind.

Roger Bleile's http://www.engravingglossary.com/ contains good illustrations of various engraving styles. I also agree with Roger's suggestion of James D. Julia's site for its very high-quality images.

By the way, I am curious. Roger's name is spelled correctly at the top of each of his comments. I wonder why you take poetic license with it?

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jim,
I just emailed you a series of hi-def pics of an original Rigby long range rifle with full coverage engraving.

Latest posts

Sponsors