For you anodizers out there

peteb

Elite Cafe Member
Here are some photos of a "breadboard" layout of my anodizer setup. It is useful because it pinpoints areas for coloring, reducing the need to mask everything. It
is very simple to use: place the work in the container in contact with the screen, add electrolite, depress the safety switch with one hand and guide the wand at an oblique angle over the area to be colored.
Happy to answer any questions. <br>

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
more than interesting. have you ever tried the technique on titanium ?. i would think the mesh support would have to be plastic, or some other non conductor. the anode would have to be ti, as would the wire used to contact the piece.

peteb

Elite Cafe Member
Monk

I will dig up some TI to try, but I think it will act the same as niobium. Please note that while the electricity flows thru the part to be anodized (anode) via the stainless screen and also the electrolyte, the wand wire (cathode) area is very small and easily controlled, thus complete control of the size of the spot produced is possible. Smaller wire should make an even smaller spot for finer control.

monk

Staff member
Monk

I will dig up some TI to try, but I think it will act the same as niobium. Please note that while the electricity flows thru the part to be anodized (anode) via the stainless screen and also the electrolyte, the wand wire (cathode) area is very small and easily controlled, thus complete control of the size of the spot produced is possible. Smaller wire should make an even smaller spot for finer control.
thanks, petab. my setup is for ti. if your way works, i'll give it a try. anxious to hear how your ti test turned out. from all i've read on doing niobium, it seems a bit more forgiving on technique than ti.

peteb

Elite Cafe Member
Monk
I tried a piece of TI and the results are similar to niobium. In fact the whole piece to be anodized need not be covered with liquid at all. The end of the wand will suck up a small amount of electrolyte by capillary action (if you dunk it) and will release it at the point of contact making a colored spot.

monk

Staff member
Monk
I tried a piece of TI and the results are similar to niobium. In fact the whole piece to be anodized need not be covered with liquid at all. The end of the wand will suck up a small amount of electrolyte by capillary action (if you dunk it) and will release it at the point of contact making a colored spot.
thanks for that. i have experimented with q tips saturated in electrolyte, and connected via wire to the dc power supply. by dabbing the q tip, one can achieve some interesting effects on metal. i'll have to give it a try on ti, using the fine wire technique.

Latest posts

Sponsors