Question: Concho die source??

rossm10

Can anyone recommend a source that mfr.s concho dies?? Also, do the plexiglass dies with smooth plate below work well for flat top conchoes??? Thanks in advance!!

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Your inquiry isn't clear. Plexiglass isn't used to make any die that I'm familiar with. You can use such for a template, or to trace something. You might want to Google something in like 'concho manufacturers', or similar, like 'buckle manufacturers' who would have, maybe, dies for such and the means to bend and punch them out. You CAN do the work yourself, if you have access to a lathe, and are doing a limited number. But, your inquiry isn't quite clear, and you may want to elaborate.

RT Bit and Spur

Elite Cafe Member
I have used lexan for dies. It is a tough clear material I get at the glass store. Some times they have small pieces of scrap. It cuts with various saw blades and I use a flexible poly pad to push in to it get the dome. You can use it to get different shapes such as hearts Etc.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I believe the OP is asking about silhouette dies made from poly/acrylic materials which use urethane pads to pull the metal into the opening. This is the type of die I use for buckle forming and other forming tasks.

They're quite easy to make and definitely aren't rocket science. Google acrylic sheet. I chop up slabs on a table, band, or compound mitre saw to fit my containment boxes. As for simple shapes like circles, it's quite easy to get perfect circles in 3" sizes or smaller. A simple hole saw drill bit will do exactly what you want.

One bit of advice, if you plan on doing a lot of forming with a more complex shaped die, I'd suggest making a brass faceplate to fit over the die opening. It'll preserve the lifespan of the die edge immensely.

Another great source for dies is Kevin Potter at www.potterusa.com

For complex custom pancake(cutting) and other dies, contact Dar Shelton at sheltec. I don't have his website but a quick google will bring it up.

Latest posts

Sponsors