Question: 2 Questions for Gun Engravers

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Do you need to ask for a client permission to sign/ initial your name?

Not sure about others but my customers are all pretty familiar with my work on knives and know that I sign with my initials. Never had an issue so far but it is a good question, especially regarding guns, and probably better answered by a more experienced gun engraver.

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Often clients do not know or do not have a precise idea of what they want but the thing they require is a signature, I even had clients sending back old works, I forgot to sign, so I could put my mark on them. Firearms change hand often and gun people like to document their new acquisition sometime out of curiosity sometime to increase the, perceive, value of their collectibles.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
As Thierry indicates, most people want the engraver to sign their work, especially if the engraver has any kind of reputation. There are a few types of work I pass on, among them are these two...I won't do work that I won't put my name on and I won't do work on which I am not allowed to put my name.

Choppers_rule

Elite Cafe Member
I guess that makes sense for some reputable/ famous engravers. For a "Nobody" engraver like me, am I somewhat entitled to put my initial on my artwork without asking client's permission?

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As the artist, you are entitled, (I would say almost required) to sign your work. Frankly, the client has no say in this matter unless it is a L O N G standing company policy. If you're proud of your work, sign it. If your not proud of your work, don't sell it.

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
in my humble opinion, when you have put countless hours into the design and cutting of the artifact! You have earned the right to put your initials or name with pride on it. I would do it with all the pride in the world , it is something that I started and finished... No one else.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
As a jeweler that engraves, the question of signing would never have occured to me. We makers mark everything, and mark metal content! Customers do occasionally ask where my mark is, just to be sure! Hey, if somehow I end up famous, they want to know and show!