Question: 2 Questions for Gun Engravers

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
I am in the process of engraving my first gun for a customer and have two questions for gun engravers please...

1) Do you usually sign your work on gun engraving and if so, where? Seems like a lot of knife engravers sign their work but I don't see many engraved guns that are signed by engravers. I assume they must be signed in hidden areas or not at all?

2) The Kimber 1911 I am engraving has the Kimber logo on one side of the slide and some lettering (Eclipse Ultra II) on the other side. I assume Kimber factory must have used some type of deep laser engraving. It looks fine to the naked eye but under the scope the edges of the letters are pretty jagged. My question is, do you leave this as is or would you attempt to clean up the edges of the factory engraved lettering? Of course I would discuss this with the customer but thought I would ask about it first.

Thanks in advance for your help!

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
I have always signed my work, usually in an inconspicuous location but not hidden, and in very small letters. On shotguns usually along a trigger slot, on bolt actions usually at the upper end of the floorplate hinge. Handguns I just look for a spot that will fit into the design.

As to the factory lettering, I have not encountered the kind you are talking about but would clean it up unless that would make the letters look too wide.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I usually sign on the right side under the grip pf handguns. I usually sign somewhere on the bottom of other firearms. I just use my initials.

Riflesmith

Elite Cafe Member
I sign the pieces I do in an inconspicuous place.....sometimes. But sometimes I don't, I'll let the work speak for itself.

As for the Kimber slides, if you take a look under the microscope you will see the lettering is part of the investment casting, in other words, the lettering is cast into the slides and the lettering is stamped into the receiver.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
On handguns, I and many others sign on the frame under one of the grips. For me, the smaller the job the less the signature. I have a tiny stamp with an entwined CRB that I use as the minimum. Nimschke did similar (not that I'm comparing myself with LDN). LDN only signed about 18% of his work and the more elaborate the job, the more the signature. His minimum signature was just an N, then LDN, LDN-NY, and so on.

As someone who is constantly being asked to identify unsigned gun engraving, or asked to identify cryptic marks and initials, I would like to see all gun engravers sign their work. FEGA has samples of lots of engravers marks and I have over 500 pictures of signatures in my own archive but all in all it is far from complete.

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Sam, Gerry, Richard and Roger for your helpful answers. Richard, it makes sense that the letters were cast into the slide. Thanks.

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Having seen so many, many buggered screw slots over the years I personally avoid signing anywhere that a screw has to be removed to find it.

Thanks Sam. Would you happen to have a picture or sketch of how you worked your initials into a design?

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I sign my name and date (in Roman numerals) under the grip on handguns and usually under or on the hidden part of the tang on a long gun. On more pricey work I incorporate my initials, WM, somewhere in a scroll, usually at the beginning of the scroll, really small and in a circular design. Okay Roger, I'll send you an example for the archives!

Bill

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
David, I sign guns with S. Welch in locations indicated, very small. I very seldom use initials...maybe on something like a bolo tie or small knife.

Attachments

• signature.jpg
    signature.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 263
  • initials.jpg
    initials.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 262

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
I sign my name and date (in Roman numerals) under the grip on handguns and usually under or on the hidden part of the tang on a long gun. On more pricey work I incorporate my initials, WM, somewhere in a scroll, usually at the beginning of the scroll, really small and in a circular design. Okay Roger, I'll send you an example for the archives!

Bill

Thanks Bill. I would love to see a pic of your initials in a scroll if possible.

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
I always sign. If you don't want your name on it maybe you shouldn't be doing it.

Perhaps I shouldn't be doing it but that was not my purpose in asking the question. As Roger pointed out, many engravers, even great ones did not sign all their work. As I just started on my first gun I noticed that I could not find any signatures as I browsed through the American Engravers III book. When I am done with this first gun I will post pictures, good or bad, and you can judge it from there. Since you sign all your guns perhaps you could post a picture of one or two that you engraved? Thanks.

Latest posts

Sponsors