Question: Graver Shape and Size for Wax?

hoodswigler

Hello everyone! I have just started getting into lost wax casting and have been teaching myself for the most part. I have gotten to a point where I can carve a basic ring shape but now I want to start engraving designs on it.

I know some people engrave the designs after they are cast in metal, but seeing as how I have no experience engraving I'd like to try engraving in the wax first. Also, most people now use a pneumatic graver, which I definitely can't afford right now.

I am looking to purchase a few hand gravers but I have no idea what shape or size I should purchase. Here is a link to what type of designs I'd like to accomplish http://juliocuellarhandmade.com/collections/2015

Also, I know there is a process to adding the graver to the handle and I don't have a bench grinder or vise. I found these adjustable handles. Anyone have any experience with them? https://contenti.com/adjustable-graver-handles

I know an onglette graver is probably a good place to start I just don't know which size or sizes to purchase. Any advise would be great. Thank you!!

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I do a lot of lost wax.
You don't have to worry much about the tools you use (you can sharpen your fingernails if you like).. That said I like to match my wax tools to the tools I use to engrave, so that after I cast my tools fit properly. Simplest way to do this is to just use the same tools. .. That said, I dont. I use a lot of scrapers.
The other advice for wax- temperance. The material cuts super easy.. Less is more. Even knowing this, I inevitably go too far in wax. To the point that I pretty much leave out my details for metal finishing, or make my masters in stone.

Now that I've muddied the waters.. I'll toss in a bit more dirt. Bicycle spokes and street sweeper bristles make great wax tools. .. And to answer your initial question- a more obtuse angle works best (I'm talking square tipped). I don't use graver handles on my wax tools, using more of a pencil/knife grip on the tools. Dentist tools are also great for conversion to wax tools. Use the hardest wax you can. Ultimately, I believe, you will want Gravers, if you want a fine finish on your final product.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I use an onglette, a knife, a round and a flat while carving waxes, but 95% of my carving I use an exacto knife. I have 3-4 different shapes of x-acto's, round and pointed in varying degrees. I also use a couple of scrapers.

hoodswigler

Yeah I can totally see that. I've been using blue wax and that stuff is super easy to carve. I've actually been using a tool that I use to carve linoleum prints with. It works okay but I need something more detailed. I've picked up dental tools and tried nails, I just don't feel like I can properly carve the details I want. That's why I was thinking gravers, plus I would like to try them with metal at some point.

I haven't gotten any other them cast yet, and I'm curious to see how wax translates to metal. Any more info or opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

TallGary

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
narrow flats and rounds, and perhaps a 60 or 70 square graver. i did have one of the adjustable handles as you asked about. i didn't like it. ymmv. i should think goin to any level of expense at first, would be a mistake. i have done only enough lost wax work to say that ,"i did it". creating the tools needed is not rocket science. some coat hanger wire, a good file, and an old broomstick would do you just as well as "store-bought" gravers. what may be of greater importance would be a work holder/positioner to make life easier. i'd also suggest purchasing an optivisor. something else-- if you're not up to speed with drawing, i'd suggest , seriously, to practice that. if you are poor at drawing, it follows that your rings will reflect that. i wish you luck in your endeavors.

jbrayout

How do you shape your rings? I have quite a bit of trouble just getting all the angles and such perfect. I have a template with different shapes, but I don't know how to adjust the templates for different ring sizes. Can you help with how you get the initial ring shapes?
Thanks,
Jenny

hoodswigler

I use Matt blue tube wax. I cut a block to whatever size I want the top of the signet to be. Then I'll use a course and fine wax file to cut away what I don't need. Then I use an exact knife to scrape it smoother. Honestly, I've mostly been winging it myself. I've been trying to draw center lines so I can keep some sort of symmetry. Don't be fooled, mine are "organic" signet rings at this point. I'm still trying to figure out how to get it right myself. I might try using the green wax to see if it lenes better to carving designs.

I find its also helped to ha e some reference pictures of signet rings you like. I kind of try to copy what the shape looks like. If anyone else has suggestions on how to create a better shape I'd love to hear it!

Last edited:

jbrayout

Thanks, I really like Kate Wolfs wax, the green wax is good too. All of mine are organic too.
Jenny

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
my main two

seperated this into two , so as not to jumble it... these are the two tools that i do 90% of wax detailing with (rough out is files)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 38

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
and a few of the others i find handy

i gave my best one away (note to self: make another one) which was essentially what would (as a wood tool) be a skew, but instead of a sharp edge, the forward cutting edge is squared at a thickness somewhere around a mm.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg