Critique Request Practice plate in progress. Inlay and sculpting.

colinskelly

Finally carved out some time to do a inlay and sculpting

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
what methods/gravers/etc did you use to do this piece ? looks like it will be interesting when finished.

colinskelly

I used a 90 to 1st cut the outline, then combination of 90, 120 and flat gravers to hog out most of the background with small ball burs for the tight areas with any radius. I wanted the copper to be be considerably recessed so I removed as much as I dared from the background while still leaving enough metal to secure the copper. I used 24 gauge copper round wire for the inlay material. I cut the teeth to hold the inlay by plunging flat gravers at an angle to raise the burs in a crosshatched patter. In the tight areas and sometimes when I had difficulty with the wire lifting up, I used a narrow stippling tool, held in different angles and directions to punch small "holes" for the inlay to be hammered into. I'm still not completely satisfied with the hammer texture on the sculpiting. I think with more practice I will get more consistent hammer patterns. I can get better results with a hammer/punch, but I'm looking for speed if I'm going to offer this technique to my customers. Most of them are other Jewelers who struggle in understanding that you can only choose 2 of the 3 following options: Get the job done 1. fast 2. with good craftsmanship or 3. (my least favorite lol) cheap.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
I used a 90 to 1st cut the outline, then combination of 90, 120 and flat gravers to hog out most of the background with small ball burs for the tight areas with any radius. I wanted the copper to be be considerably recessed so I removed as much as I dared from the background while still leaving enough metal to secure the copper. I used 24 gauge copper round wire for the inlay material. I cut the teeth to hold the inlay by plunging flat gravers at an angle to raise the burs in a crosshatched patter. In the tight areas and sometimes when I had difficulty with the wire lifting up, I used a narrow stippling tool, held in different angles and directions to punch small "holes" for the inlay to be hammered into. I'm still not completely satisfied with the hammer texture on the sculpiting. I think with more practice I will get more consistent hammer patterns. I can get better results with a hammer/punch, but I'm looking for speed if I'm going to offer this technique to my customers. Most of them are other Jewelers who struggle in understanding that you can only choose 2 of the 3 following options: Get the job done 1. fast 2. with good craftsmanship or 3. (my least favorite lol) cheap.

tyvm. i was unaware you could use copper wire for anything other than inlaying a single line. you could, with a bit thicker inlay of copper, smooth out the hammer marks. a graver would do the trick. even one of those fine cerammic finishing "sticks" would do this. i cant wait to see the finished piece.

Latest posts

Sponsors