Do it yourself transfer wax

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yep just buy a can of SAMs transfer wax cheap and easy, one can will probably last for a couple of generations :eek:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
McKenzie used 50/50 beeswax and tallow and he got the mix from Churchill who got it from Joe Fuggar.

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
I use and highly recommend Sam's wax. But if you are a glutton for punishment, try rendering some tallow in your wife's kitchen and see how that works out for you lol.

Stewart

Sam

Staff member
I use and highly recommend Sam's wax. But if you are a glutton for punishment, try rendering some tallow in your wife's kitchen and see how that works out for you lol.

Stewart

I've been banished from the house when I render tallow. Abigail says "you make the house smell like dead things."

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, my mom would agree with Abigail! When I was a kid my dad would render tallow in the kitchen and my mom would gripe about it lol. But my dad kept at it -- he was of the opinion that beef tallow was the greatest invention ever.

Stewart

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i've rendered my own leaf lard, but that was for something important- AWESOME PIE CRUST, not something trivial like engraving.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
by all means, you should try mike dubbers' formula. graphite and chapstick. do NOT use medicated chapstick like i did. i ended liking some of the properties of mikes' formula. but i also use sams' wax. after having spent nearly 50 bucks doing this, uh, duh, i shoulda bought sams' first ! you should buy a tin
while supplies last.
or you could begin adding vaseline to the bees wax. 60 bees 40 or so vaseline, tallow, most any fat will do. continue adding/subtracting till you get there. or, buy some of sams' !!

Sam

Staff member
Lots of things work for transferring and layout. You have to hit the sweet spot of it not being so greasy that it smears and not being so stiff it won't transfer.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When I rendered tallow for the "mixture" my wife started looking throughout the house for a misplaced dirty diaper.....and our kids were grown!

Bill

Latest posts

Sponsors