Tamanuitera (The Sun)

Andrew Biggs

Maui and his brothers were continually frustrated that there was never enough sunlight during the day to get their work done. No matter how early they got up, Tamanuitera (the sun) would move swiftly across the sky and always set before they were finished the day’s tasks.

One day Maui announced he would capture Tamanuitera and force him to stay in the sky longer so they could enjoy extra daylight. So he got all the women in the tribe to gather and weave flax into strong ropes. He then set off to the east equipped with the rope and a magic axe made from the jawbone of his grandfather to find Tamanuitera's lair.

When Maui found Tamanuitera he threw the net over him and a great battle ensued. Maui then beat Tamanuitera into submission with his magic axe and the Tamanuitera promised to stay up longer.

From that moment onwards Tamanuitera rose and moved slowly across the sky giving us more time during the day to get our work done and enjoy some leisure time in the evenings.

The watch features eight 1.5mm black diamonds on the sides of the case and 18 carat rose gold wire inlays.

Watch By Magrette www.magrette.com

Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• leon-engraved2.jpg
    leon-engraved2.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 362
  • leon-engraved5.jpg
    leon-engraved5.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 370
  • leon-engraved1.jpg
    leon-engraved1.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 365
  • leon-engraved3.jpg
    leon-engraved3.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 369
  • leon-engraved4.jpg
    leon-engraved4.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 368

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Wonderful Andrew- you have a very special way of creating beautiful interpretive art...and the stories behind the art are always a bonus.

If there are students who want to see just how well fine lettering can be cut with a graver, study this and other pieces engraved by Andrew:clapping:

Last edited:

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Wow Andrew, I'm looking at my own watch thinking, how in the hell did he get all of that in there.

Todd

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Another smashing success Andrew! You never fail to impress! Love the uniquely Biggs designs and the stories that accompany them.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
You do the most unique and imaginative engravings! What a beautiful job! :beerchug: :clapping:

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
So nice Andrew! I love the way you set the diamonds and also I like how you left the scroll designs open on the top of the watch using just borders. To me that looks really perfect with that watch! Someone is gonna love this one!

Andrew Biggs

Thanks for all the comments and likes :)

Todd........Engraving this small is simple enough. You just zero in on the subject and do it. I use a microscope and others are comfortable with an optivisor. The technique involved is the same as it is for larger engraving. When you look at the old Victorian timepieces there is some stunning work and it was all done without magnification.

Chris........Yes, the diamond setting had one or two Saxon words thrown into it. I ended up polishing an old carbide bur to a blunt needle shape and that worked just fine.

Cheers
Andrew

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the world would be better if you wrote 2 books. one on engraving, the other featuring all the stories that have come to us by way of your engraving. your engraving, the work you do for fega, as well as the helpful input you have shared here is highly appreciated. thank you, andrew !

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Andrew, I saw it was "one of ten," does that mean you have nine more to do?

Bill

weshdim

Beautiful rendering of Maori ornament. Great inspiration. Thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Sponsors