New Favorite Fixture

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't often sing the praises of a fixture or review them for that matter. But I just received a new one that I have to tell you about.

It is a fixture designed to hold a 1911 slide. I've done 18 1911s since FEGA a month ago. The last few were with this fixture.

I have had no scratches caused by metal chips vibrating between the slide and the vise. I've had no scratches due to the slide slipping in the vise when doing deep relief or dot punch. I've had no slides changing their slide to frame fit due to over tightening the vise. For these reasons and several others I love this fixture.

If you are interested they are made by Sandy. If you dont know how to get hold of him PM me.

20160229_145300.jpg 20160229_155114.jpg 20160224_112524.jpg

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
very nice. after tearing my hair out trying different holds for the slides, i setteled on a common hardwood block. there was no vise contact, as i fitted the slide to the wood, then used a bit of hot melt. worked for me, but yours is far, far, better looking. for guys & gals that like store-bought, this looks like a winner.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yeah Monk, I tried that too. But when you want to maximize time cutting and not engineering ways to hold stuff, this is the answering figure it will pay for itself in two weeks.

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Ragnarok,
I made my first one about 40 years ago for milling the 1911 slide for sights. About 10 years ago I adapted it for engraving slides. I made one for My friend Dale Bass and he came up with the idea of the angle plate on the side. Works great.
Sandy

Ragnarok

Ragnarok,
I made my first one about 40 years ago for milling the 1911 slide for sights. About 10 years ago I adapted it for engraving slides. I made one for My friend Dale Bass and he came up with the idea of the angle plate on the side. Works great.
Sandy

yeah, I really like your jig. it's not nearly as obtrusive as the one I linked to. I will probably "borrow" your idea soon.

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Ragnarok,
If you do build one I use 3/4" X 2" 6061-T6511 aluminum (less chance of messing up engraved slide with aluminum). Murphy's law is alive and well. If you have any questions send me a pm.
Sandy

Ragnarok

Ragnarok,
If you do build one I use 3/4" X 2" 6061-T6511 aluminum (less chance of messing up engraved slide with aluminum). Murphy's law is alive and well. If you have any questions send me a pm.
Sandy

I'll probably use a block of nylon for the actual slide block, and aluminum angle on the side.

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Nylon cool idea for engraving fixture. :tiphat: I'll have to look into that. I us my fixture for mill and other activities. Would the nylon flex under milling forces?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
What a nice fixture.

Back in the day before vises were invented we just held held 'em between our knees. You had to be tough to be an engraver back then.

Choppers_rule

Elite Cafe Member
So I'm not suppose to just clamp the slide in the vise with piece of leather? Isn't a slide should be strong enough to withstand clamping force from the vise?

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Yes you can clamp it in the vise. But you should be careful to not squeeze the sides of the slide to much. That will create a whole new proble.

Here in Kansas we have to worry about the wind blowing us off the stool while engraving or other things. LOL

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

Choppers_rule

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Sandy! That's a really good idea inserting an aluminum strip in the slide to prevent damage from clamping and more affordable for a newbie like me.

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
That is a piece of oil hardened tool steel 3/4" wide by 3/32" thick. some things are better in steel. ;)

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice write up Beathard, thanks for the great tip....
And great looking Vice Sandy, maybe in the future when I start engraving 1911 slides I can order one from You

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
When you are ready Omar let me know.

Choppers Rule
That is true. But aluminum that thin can flex and if you squeeze the slide to much you take the chance of cracking the slide or squeezing the sides of the slide in and it won't go back on the frame.
A couple of headaches you don't want. Been there and done that in years past. That's what brought the original fixture about back when I was building 1911s.

Latest posts

Sponsors