Question: Leaks

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
When I am cutting a long cut over 1/2 inch the chip curl starts to block my view. I really do not want to stop my cut then clear the chip and then restart the cut.
Any trade tricks out their?
Leaks

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Try keeping your focus a little way down the road rather than on the tip of your graver. When you drive a car you don't look just in front of the hood. You look as far down the road as you can and still steer a straight line.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
if you want to get micro-technical, try sharpening your graver's cutting face so the polish grain angles up away in the direction you need. with a 600 grit wheel or stone, there's enough 'traction' on the chip to steer it as it comes up. if you have a lot of scribed borders to follow and you're in the habit of cutting in a certain direction on the near or far side (my personal preference) of the scribe line you can sharpen accordingly. otherwise it will be better half the time and worse the other half.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
one other thing- when outlining gold inlays, keep an eye out for the chip curling over and digging into the gold. one must often stop and restart a border line to avoid that.

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
May not solve the problems but if you position your work so you are on the leading edge of the cut and moving towards yourself it can help. Try not to start by looking straight down onto your graver you will end up behind the cut unless it is scroll work. As Mitch has stated you may want to stop to clear a chip on softer metals.
Oh if clearing stainless chips it is not good to use you finger for that. You can end up with Red cutting fluid all over your work !

Eric

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i prefer the way roger mentioned. it took me quite awhile to learn this, but it works. also by doing this one can see a flat spot or such in the drawing on the part. seeing this in advance, very easy to cut correctly. when i do stop to by to reak a chip, i make absolutley sure the graver re-enters the cut . this (for me) is done by feel as much as it is by vision.

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you all So much for your help and information. Hopefully I will be able to convert this print into practice. As for the red cutting fluid I often seal these with a burn from some piece of hot silver. Go figure . Leaker

Latest posts

Sponsors