Question: Who should I study with

Sgwiley

Banned
I would like to study with a master, however, I want to study with someone who is into design and creativity as well as skill. I love Otto Carter's work but I use a machine.

I was almost crucified before for saying this, but I don't want to do scrolls.

I don't mean to offend but would love referrals. Thank you.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Sgwily,You been talking about Otto so call him all ready 325-529-3941,he'll be glad to help you out.:thumbsup: J.J.

Sgwiley

Banned
Okay. Maybe you are right and that is what I need to do. I love his work. Thanks.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In my experience, anyone who can design and engrave ornamental work (scrolls) can pretty much engrave anything. Otto is an example of this. Nevertheless, I have attached images of a S&W revolver that was engraved for the Pan American Exposition in 1901 that has no scrollwork. It is entirely floral engraving. The images are from the James B. Julia auction catalog.

Attachments

• 38 HAND EJECT 1ST MOD FOR PAN AM EXPO, BUFFALO 1901 #11587-R.jpg
    38 HAND EJECT 1ST MOD FOR PAN AM EXPO, BUFFALO 1901 #11587-R.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 344
  • 38 HAND EJECT 1ST MOD FOR PAN AM EXPO, BUFFALO 1901 #11587-Lcu.jpg
    38 HAND EJECT 1ST MOD FOR PAN AM EXPO, BUFFALO 1901 #11587-Lcu.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 347
  • 38 HAND EJECT 1ST MOD FOR PAN AM EXPO, BUFFALO 1901 #11587-back.jpg
    38 HAND EJECT 1ST MOD FOR PAN AM EXPO, BUFFALO 1901 #11587-back.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Roger,There's a woman in one your American Engraver books who engraves her hubby's knifes,no scrolls just flowers can't remember her name. J.J.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Obviously, it is not necessary to engrave scrolls to be an engraver, but at some point, somebody is going to ask you to engrave scrolls because you are an engraver. Then you will have to explain that "You don't do scrolls".

If you can engrave scrolls, you can adapt to engrave anything. The opposite is not true.

Good luck with your endeavor!

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Cutting concentric even depth scrolls teaches you took control and muscle memories in ways that nothing else will. Even if you didn't want to cut them artistically, I still think they should be part of your daily drills.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Correct Mitch. The late Marian K. Sawby mostly engraved the custom knives made by her husband Scott but did some work for other knifemakers as well. Marian did not cut scrollwork. She told me it wasn't because she didn't like scroll but because she came to the art late in life and wanted to concentrate on floral and figural work in the time she had left. You can find examples of Marian's knife engraving here: http://sawbycustomknives.com/engraved-by-marian-sawby/

I will add that Katherine Plumer is another engraver who does not use scrollwork in her art. On commissions that require scrollwork, Katherine collaborates with another engraver for the ornament.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks, Roger, and I was not aware Marian had died. I'd only made her acquaintance a time or two at shows.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Marian took 3 classes with me years ago, starting with basic and then onto advanced. The first year she did nothing but practice plates although her work was getting really good. She was scared to death to work on Scott's knives, but once she did she was off and running. Her style was distinctive and her passion for engraving so strong that Scott told me she'd rather engrave than fish when the salmon were running! She was such a nice gal and left this world far too early.

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
I just came across this wonderful lady engraver from Italy who does stunning work. Her name is Georgia Contessa

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
the advice given by scott is spot on. you learn, doing scroll, tool control and learning to control that pesky ball vise. control of both is required to produce acceptable work. you'll find that you will turn the ball into your graver, rather than the other way around. doing curves, esp small ones, the cuts go much easier and faster that way.

Otto Carter

Elite Cafe Member
20 miles Southeast of Abilene, Texas on 22 acres.
My advise

In any discipline you have to master the basics. I tend to compare art and music. After your first piano lesson, you wouldn't decide that you needed to go past the scales and theory because after all you want to play jazz. No, jazz musicians know theory inside and out and it is from those basics that they are able to improvise in an aesthetic manner. I went to college with a music major who studied classical guitar. He was obsessed with Al Dimeola, John McGlaughlin etc. But because of his training he could sit in with a country band and play like Chet Atkins. Or do a blistering version of Red House. Many musicians are like that. Chris Broderick of Megadeth. Buckethead etc.
I love traditional scrollwork and still do it. It is bread and butter. I'm still trying to do a decent one. One of my favorite engravers on the planet is Weldon Lister. His traditional scrollwork hits me right in the heart. And I have the priviledge of owning one of the first 73 Colts he did.
Practice the basics. Learn not only to cut a good scroll but to make a pleasing design. Sometimes the simpelist things are the hardest to pull off. Meanwhile look around for what appeals to you and then with some discipline maybe your self-expression will show in a pleasing way in your work.