Question: Raymond Wielgus metal finish

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Can anyone speculate on how Wieglus achieved the multi colors of blue? This is just one of many examples where he has used this technique.

Attachments

• wieglus deco.jpg
    wieglus deco.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 304

Riflesmith

Elite Cafe Member
By the looks of this piece, and from my experience, he used the rust blue process with selective application of subsiquent coats. JMO

dhall

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
In addition to Richard's suggestion, I'm wondering if the darker areas might also have a bit of a fine texture and the lighter areas a bit more polished. The overall hue of the blue is in the same family for both the light and dark tones. Can't tell from the photo, but a fine texture won't return as much light, hence a darker tone.

Best regards,
Doug

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
not having seen any of his work up close and personal, i'd guess at least some areas are selectively polished and/or blasted. surface finish can have a radical effect on apparent color. and as i've learned the hard way over the years, sometimes i've tried to recreate a tone that only ever existed in the photograph, not on the actual article.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
perhaps all of the above. maybe the solutions for the different colors had a slightly different % strength. such applied to the varied surface finishes previously mentioned might do this. different patination solutions will produce a variety of shades, all depending on solution strength, temperature, and application time. the patination is no guess, i've done it many times. the bluing is something i have done is "straight out of the bottle". good luck in your quest for this info. do you wish to do this , or are you simply curious?

Latest posts

Sponsors