1911 Slide

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Decided to dip my toe into the world of gun engraving. Don't own a gun (yet) so thought I would start by purchasing a 1911 stainless slide from ebay and use it as a practice and sample piece. Just engraved one side so far. Tried cutting a few various types of designs just to get the feel of doing them on a gun. I learned a lot by doing this project. Later this year I hope to spend a few days with a master gun engraver and move forward a bit more. I will be working on getting my scrollwork more conventional and the next time I did something like this one I would enlarge the english scroll on the top so it touches the borders. Seems like too much deep relief around them. Compared to knives and watches there sure is a lot of area to engrave!! Any input, comments or suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

IMG_4956.jpg IMG_5092.jpg IMG_5134.jpg IMG_5135.jpg

Ragnarok

I can already see the beginnings of what we call a "bar-b-que gun" in TX. I really like the more open look like this has as compared to having a scroll/swirly every .001". it reminds me of older leather/silver work. by the way, the "arrow" engraving you have on the top of the slide should help pull the shooters eye straight to the front sight. that's why we serrate the top of 1911 slides. well, that and it looks good. continue on sir, it looks great.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
VERY nice first slide. You are correct in your assessment of the english scroll, it should touch the edges of the area to be covered. My question, though is why did you use english scroll? It would have looked 2000X better if you had used the same scroll type throughout. Are you thinking "sample gun"?

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Bruce. Yes, I just did one side of this slide for something to show to a couple of gun stores in my area. After I added the running leaf borders I thought I would try some english scroll between them. Should have stuck with the same style as you said. But, it was still pretty effective when I showed it to the local gun shop owners. Better than just a picture. I am working on my first actual gun project now. A Kimber 1911. I will post pics of it when I am done and I would love to hear your input. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i always like to see a balance between background and design. i think when one crams every sq. mm with design, the eye ( at least mine) gets confused. this way, my eye concentrates more on the design work, less time wandering around. thanks for showing

Latest posts

Sponsors