Question: RinGenie or GRS Ring holder?

WSammut

I have used the RinGenie quite a bit and think it is a really system but its out of my current price range. Is the GRS ring holder a nice compermise for the price or should I save the money and hold off until I can afford a RinGinie? I'm currently just putting ring collets strait in my vise and opening and turning the ring to work one section at a time.
Thanks,
William

jb1983

Elite Cafe Member
The GRS holder is nice. I have stripped the thread off in the pass. The one Stuller makes I believe its based of David White design is the best value & works great. But if $$$ is not the issue the JURA ring holder is worth its weight in gold. I have no experience with the Ringenie but looks like it would get in the way when working on a ring. Just my thoughts good luck.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have the grs ring holder, gets the job done, but you have to mess with the tension to get it just right so you can spin it and engrave if necessary, not sure on durability as I dont use it much.

GunEngraver.com Guns, Knives & More

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I don't think the two can be compared as they are totally different devices. The RG allows you to rotate the ring as you're cutting which is nice. For rings like signets I normally use the GRS fixture since I don't have to turn them while engraving.

WSammut

Brian, I've thought about that but if I remember correctly he told me he's not really involved with it anymore.
So is the GRS not very good at turning while working? Because like I said I just put a collet in my vise and work section by section and if its not that much of an upgrade from that I'll just save it for a RinGinie.
Thanks everyone for the advise.
William

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Chris's, Jura's & David White's fixtures work as well as they do because they are designed by a person who makes a living using them.

As opposed to manufacturers "engineers" who try design what they think would work... without actually trying to make their paycheck from using that device for several months.

I agree with Sam that that Chris's device is probably not the best choice for a signet ring...

Brian

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
If you had something to trade that he wanted - like maybe boat dock/deck repairs (just a random wild guess) I bet he'd find a way to get involved...

Plus you might learn a few new tricks that aren't out there on videos by just jawing with him? Worth a try.

Brian

J.Hayes

This is what I came up with. Sometimes the heads of the shcs get in the way though, I need to counter sink them. That being said, Jake is right, that Jura stuff is sweet

Attachments

• 20141211_085248.jpg
    20141211_085248.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 317
  • 20141211_085147.jpg
    20141211_085147.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 315

J.Hayes

Brian,

Thank you. Everything was laying around the shop except the SHCS. Inspired by Jake's Jura stuff, I just couldn't swing the cost. Does what I need,and as time allows improvements will be made.

J.Hayes

Brian

The hemispheres were just faster in the mini lathe by hand. I can tighten the vice just enough so that I can still turn or tip the ring 360 but it has a tendency to slide left or right on the collet depending on the forces. This is where the Jura is better, the collet is expanded on the axle preventing the ring from moving and the that axle is held by the vice jaws and you can control the rotation with the tightness of the vice. The Jura stuff is well thought out. At some point I will make an axle of my own and jaws to hold it.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i make wooden colletts for my setters vice, and glue my ring too it.. a bolt replaces the handle on the bottom, and i hold the whole shebang in my bloc.... the wood ring doesnt lock when i sinch it up, and i apply just enough pressure that it hods, but i can still turn it without loosening up the set vice.. works perfect

You may not know you already had what you needed :)
Not ideal but works surprisingly well.
Can not take the credit for this idea, it is my apprentice who came up with the concept

Joacim Jansson

2016-02-24 08.22.27.jpg

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Simple and effective. I've been holding rings like this for years. It consists of a GRS expanding nylon collet and metal cone suspended on an allen wrench to keep it from falling inside the vise. :cool:

WSammut

That's exactly what I've been doing Sam, minus the alen wrench. probably even got the idea from one of your earlier posts. Just looking now for what's best to go around a ring smoothly instead of section by section. Lots of great ideas from everyone, thanks alot everyone!

byhandandearth

Thanks for the ideas everyone! Since Sam's class I've yet to engrave anything curved and wanted to give a ring a try so this is the fixture I made up..

I used an expanding rubber freeze plug for my Cadillac that I had sitting around. It works better than I could have dreamed for being essentially free and taking 30 minutes. And after a bit of thought, I realized I had a rubber spark plug boot($6ish) that is basically a rubber tapered ring mandrel so I'll cut that in sections so I have rubber inserts for different sized rings. I love my grs equipment but for now this will do fine. Thanks for the inspiration everyone!

Sponsors