last multicolor gold inlaid

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
Rocky, you re the man!!
You, as well as some others here, make me proud to be a Belgian ;-)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
it's nice to see follage and such done in the manner you show here. thanks for showingthis.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Lovely engraving, Rocky! I especially like your ornamental work and foliage, and you offer an excellent example of shading that we can all study. You have the right amount of lines in the right places which gives your leaves and elements volume and life. I admire it all, but my favorite part is the bottom 1/3 of your photo. Thank you for sharing your work. It is greatly appreciated. :thumbsup: :clapping:

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That looks like one very happy puppy! Just look at him smile! Excellent work as usual. Keep posting your work here.

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
Lovely engraving, Rocky! I especially like your ornamental work and foliage, and you offer an excellent example of shading that we can all study. You have the right amount of lines in the right places which gives your leaves and elements volume and life. I admire it all, but my favorite part is the bottom 1/3 of your photo. Thank you for sharing your work. It is greatly appreciated. :thumbsup: :clapping:
indeed Sam, about the shading...
in my schooldays ( the pre-internet and engraverforum era)
it was more like figure-it-out yourself if you wanted some extra things to learn...
except for people like Rocky and Jean Diet who were always ready to help out students with good tips, tricks and free tools....
one of the things I remind is Rocky saying : "you don t need to put a zillion lines to have a nice shading,
with less, but well placed lines, and open spaces your result is often better..."
he s absolutely tight about that imho....

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
indeed Sam, about the shading...
in my schooldays ( the pre-internet and engraverforum era)
it was more like figure-it-out yourself if you wanted some extra things to learn...
except for people like Rocky and Jean Diet who were always ready to help out students with good tips, tricks and free tools....
one of the things I remind is Rocky saying : "you don t need to put a zillion lines to have a nice shading,
with less, but well placed lines, and open spaces your result is often better..."
he s absolutely tight about that imho....

Agreed, Frank. Many of us have been guilty of making way too many lines when shading. I've done it myself and I gradually learned that this is not the best approach. Using fewer lines and with smarter placement renders a much better result as Rocky proves.

It's not always what you engrave but what you don't engrave that can make great work.

Sponsors