eBay Leica Wild M3Z I received is not the one I bought help!

RickBright

eBay completed auction no. 121870822965. I had read on a post here to not buy a tan M3Z. The one pictured in the auction looks white to me. The scope I received today is more almond colored and is not the scope that was pictured in the listing.It also has a tag the one pictured on the auction does not have. Tag reads Wild-Leitz Canada. I paid $750.00 plus $45.00 shipping. Should I be concerned or not? Seller seemed knowledgeable about Leica scopes and has good feedback just trying to find out what I have.
Thanks in advance
Rick

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Did you contact the seller?? By the looks of the auction they appear to be legit.
I have no idea why the coloring of the plastic housing would have anything to do with the scope's performance. Leica optics are the best in the world.
You might need a 0.5x objective lens for it as it says it comes with a "1x bottom lens".

RickBright

I had read on here somewhere a post on scopes to buy or avoid. In the post it said to not buy the tan Wilds. The one I received is more almond/tan colored than white. I have not been able to find any other information on this online. As for does it do it's job it does magnify. I did have a .5x objective substituted for the 1.0. Maybe just being paranoid about what I read.
Thanks for the quick repliesl

Last edited:

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
ref the colour depends on what it was used for if there was soldering done under it (flux fumes) or if the person was a smoker this can discolour the finishhas a good sniff over it that may give an indication but it looks the real deal looking at the listing.
I have had a scope come looking discoloured the fix is to used some Dettol mould and mildew cleaner just moisten a cloth and whipe dont get the cloth over wet it cleaned mine like new.
Ray

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,

The Leica wild M3Z pictured at 745 was a good deal. I have had many of these scopes and they are all bulletproof.
Great scope and great optics. As Sam said try to get the .5 objective lens You will be very happy with this scope.
The oculars on this scope (pictured) are easily a 350-400 dollar item alone so you did very well with it.
Also the lack of wear on the knob paint indicates very little use. They usually show ware with moderate use.
If it is not the one you see in the ebay ad contact the seller....
AirAmp

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
some of the earlier specie of moldable plastics had a problem retaining the original color. environmental influences like oxygen, fumes, uv exposure-etc-etc. if such a plastic was used to make your scope, a color change may occur. i'm thinkin if optics are good and mechanics are good, the scope should also be good.
i bought a used leica.great scope, but the ccolor is, uh, ugly!
i forgot to mention, sometimes a given item will be fotographed, then posted on the bay. the sellor may have a dozen scopes of the same make and model. this happens when a lab or other facility sells off old to purchase new equipment. this may be what happened in your case.

Last edited:

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Monk,
I have never seen a M3a,b,or Z series scope Wild or Lecia that had plastic on it so if it has plastic it is Not a M3 series from what I know.

Rick if it has plastic on it maybe post a picture of it you may have gotten the wrong item..
AirAmp

RickBright

Hi Monk,
I have never seen a M3a,b,or Z series scope Wild or Lecia that had plastic on it so if it has plastic it is Not a M3 series from what I know.

Rick if it has plastic on it maybe post a picture of it you may have gotten the wrong item..
AirAmp
Here is a picture no plastic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 162

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,

Yes it is a good one. You got a great deal..
Just find the .5 and you are good to go.

Note that the eye cups come up to cup the eye for better viewing...
AirAmp

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Monk,

AirAmp

hmmm. you got me there. unless i would see it up close & personal, i couldn't say. there's so many makes and models of scopes out there-- something i have never bothered to really investigate. current polymer r&d is producing some very durable and useful products.

Latest posts

Sponsors