simple CAD program

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
It's pretty obvious that I don't know much about any of this. We do use local companies to do cad/cam for us on occasion. It usually runs $100 and up for a finished wax. There are many times that that is fine, works within the budget etc. I was hoping to find a way to have my own stock designs available to print, or mill. It seems that the 3D printer idea isn't yet one worth looking at.
I also know nothing about mills. What is the difference between 3 axis, 4 axis and 5 axis mills? Is there an affordable option here?

Thanks again for all the comments and information.

Edward Soye

I have seen a mill 5axis which looks fast and accurate but have not seen it in person. It was still around $25000. But there was not much info on its software, there are Roland mills but everyone I know who has it is not using it as it is too frustrating and difficult for new users to operate. We bought our revo mill as back up to our 3D printer, and it has its quirks and we have had every removable part replaced several times but it has paid for itself every year in mill jobs not including the work we finish. We have had to send parts that "never break down " back for repair many times. We have come to the conclusion the mill likes my wife and works beautifully for her but if I even think about touching it....

Cad software can be awesome if you have the time to dedicate months to work on it, an understanding of what dimensions are in the real world, what does it take to make a wax functional, what can the mill do in reality efficiently and without you having to sit there hoping it will finally work. Can this be cast?
Can this be cleaned up ?
How will I get at this spot if I add it for clean up?
Will I be able to set with that much material ?

What will the loss and shrink be from cad to wax to cleaned up casting?

When a model is grown how much model thickness will be lost if I file off those growth lines ?

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Had a look into things over the weekend & came to the same conclusion..maybe best keep it that way to save premature hair greying.

Well I am 67 and just starting to grey, with a full head of hair. I guess that's why I would like to make it easier, but, while I am a quick learner, as the sole bench jeweler in our small store, I don't really have 1000 hours that can be dedicated to learning something new...especially if it may not work anyway! LOL

Latest posts

Sponsors