Question for Sam or Others (Spongit Stickks)

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Question for Same or Others (Spongit Sticks)

Sam trying to remember: You had a post about Spongit Sticks awhile back. I believe you used them to apply transfer wax. Is this correct? Were there other applications you used them for like correcting drawing mistakes when designing on metal, etc

Thanks in advance

Found the link. Worth sharing again for others and newbies.

http://www.engraverscafe.com/showth...ransfer-wax-touchups&highlight=spongit+sticks

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
they are cool for dabbling oxidizers to achieve antique effects on metal.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Question for Same or Others (Spongit Sticks)

Sam trying to remember: You had a post about Spongit Sticks awhile back. I believe you used them to apply transfer wax. Is this correct? Were there other applications you used them for like correcting drawing mistakes when designing on metal, etc

Thanks in advance

Found the link. Worth sharing again for others and newbies.

http://www.engraverscafe.com/showth...ransfer-wax-touchups&highlight=spongit+sticks

I apply transfer wax with my finger or thumb, and during the layout if I need to make a design adjustment (avoiding the M-word :cool:) in a tight place I touch one of those sticks to my transfer wax and dab some over my layout, then redraw as needed. Basically they're used in tight places where a fingertip would be too large and wipe out too much of the design. I hope this answers your question.

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
Heck I'll just steal them from the wife's makeup goodies, but I want to know where you can get that cool transfer wax container. Sam you have some cool goodies !

Eric

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
I may have to throw a piece of brass on the lathe and see what happens. Is there a cover for it or was it made for your cover to fit it. Your idea is good as well Brian but antique shops up here are more junk shops. Might head into Michigan they have some good old hardware/antique shops.
Thanks for showing the cups Sam

Eric

Sam

Staff member
Those wax & oiler cups look suspiciously like the "antique" heavy glass furniture coaster cups that I drafted for the same purpose. ;)

If you've got a set of 4, Abigail may someday "re-purpose" them when you aren't looking...

Brian

I have to watch her like a hawk, Brian!

Sam

Staff member
I may have to throw a piece of brass on the lathe and see what happens. Is there a cover for it or was it made for your cover to fit it. Your idea is good as well Brian but antique shops up here are more junk shops. Might head into Michigan they have some good old hardware/antique shops.
Thanks for showing the cups Sam

Eric

I wanted something heavy enough to stay put on the bench and not get moved around like a lightweight tin, and I wanted a surface I could engrave some day (which ain't happened). Both work really well but I would prefer the wax container to have a rounded edge inside instead of being sharp. I might bring it to Aaron for a mod the next time I'm in Kansas.

Latest posts

Sponsors